6.1005, Sum: Japanese historical linguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 25 19:27:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1005. Tue Jul 25 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  125

Subject: 6.1005, Sum: Japanese historical linguistics

Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:53:57 -0000
From:  iad at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Subject:  Summary: Japanese historical linguistics

Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:53:57 -0000
From:  iad at cogsci.ed.ac.uk

Dear World,

A while ago I asked for help in compiling a list of books and articles
on Japanese historical linguistics, written/published in English or German.
I thank

  Chris Brockett <chrisbro at halcyon.com>
  Gerald B Mathias <mathias at uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
  Nicholas Ostler <nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk>
  Timothy J. Vance <tjvan at conncoll.edu>
  Alexander Vovin <AVVOVIN at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU>

for the references they sent me, and I apologise to everyone
for releasing the summary later than I had promised.  Here it is:

  *  *  *

Ikeda, T.
  _Classical Japanese Grammar Illustrated with Texts_.
    Soka Gakkai, 1975.

Lange, Roland.
  _The Phonology of Eighth-Century Japanese_.
    Monumenta Nipponica Monographs.  Tokyo: Sophia University, 1973.

Lewin, Bruno.
  [a grammar of Classical Japanese in German --AV]

Martin, Samuel E.
  _The Japanese Language Through Time_.
    New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1987.
  [Humongous. Compendious. Essential for anyone starting out. --CB]
  [This book is an unparalleled achievement in Proto-Japanese
   reconstruction, and all current work in the field is mainly
   based on Martin's reconstruction. --AV]
  [Has its own very thorough bibliography. --GM]

Miller, Roy Andrew.
  _The Japanese Language_.
    Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1967.

Miller, Roy Andrew.
  _Japanese and the Other Altaic Languages_.
    Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1971.

Sansom, George Bailey.
  _An Historical Grammar of Japanese_.
    Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1928.
  [Seriously outdated, but still useful. --AV]

Serafim, Leon A.
  _Shodon: The Prehistory of a Northern Ryukyuan Dialect of Japanese_.
    Yale University dissertation, 1984.

Shibatani, Masayoshi.
  _The Languages of Japan_.
    Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.

Unger, J. Marshall.
  `Studies in Early Japanese Morphophonemics'.
    In: _Indiana University Linguistics Club_, Bloomington, 1977.
  [Reprint of Yale University dissertation;
   recently available in a revised edition? --CB]

Vance, Timothy J.
  `On the origin of voicing alternation in Japanese consonants'.
    _Journal of the American Oriental Society_ 102 (1982): 333-341.

Wen(c)k, Gunther.
  _Japanische Phonologie_.
  [Old but very valuable. --CB]

Whitman, John B.
  _The Phonological Basis for the Comparison of Japanese and Korean_.
    PhD, Harvard University, 1985.
  [This is supposed to appear from the U of Michigan
   press in the not too distant future. --CB]

Whitman, John B.
  `A Rule of Medial -r- Loss in Pre-Old Japanese'.
    In: Philip Baldi (ed.), _Linguistic Change and Reconstruction
    Methodology_, Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 1990, 511-545.
  [This is *the* paper that shows how to do historical comparison
   between Japanese and other languages.  Whitman's evidence that -r-
   loss correlates with pitch accent in Middle Korean is the Japanese
   linguist's answer to Verner's Law, demonstrating beyond all doubt
   the historical relationship between Japanese and Korean. --CB]

-
`Man, is that no terrible?  [...]  Ah wunner whit we should dae wi ye?'
Ivan A Derzhanski (iad at cogsci.ed.ac.uk)    (J Stuart, _Auld Testament Tales_)
* Centre for Cognitive Science,  2 Buccleuch Place,   Edinburgh EH8 9LW,  UK
* Cowan House E113, Pollock Halls, 18 Holyrood Pk Rd, Edinburgh EH16 5BD, UK