6.757, Sum: Introductory readings on register, Macintosh fonts

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 2 10:06:59 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-757. Fri 02 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 87

Subject: 6.757, Sum: Introductory readings on register, Macintosh fonts

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 19:08:05 -0500 (EST)
From: mai kuha (mkuha at silver.ucs.indiana.edu)
Subject: Sum:  Introductory readings on register

2)
Date: Fri, 26 May 95 14:18:43 CDT
From: smburt at heartland.bradley.edu (Susan Burt)
Subject: Thanks: phonetics fonts for Macintosh

Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 19:08:05 -0500 (EST)
From: mai kuha (mkuha at silver.ucs.indiana.edu)

A few weeks ago, I asked for introductory readings (appropriate for
undergraduate non-majors) on register.  Many thanks to Susanna Shore,
Ellen L. Contini-Morava, and Douglas Oliver for your responses!  Others
indicated they would be interested in a summary, so here it is.

Andersson, Lars and Peter Trudgill.  1990.  Bad Language. Penguin
Books.

Finegan, Edward and Niko Besnier.  1989.  "Registers:  Language
Variation in Situatios of Use."  Chapter 13 of Language:  Its Structure
and Use.  New York:  Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.

Gregory, Michael.  1967.  "Aspects of Varieties Differentiation."
Journal of Linguistics vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 177-274.

Halliday, M.A.K.  1989.  1976.  "Anti-Languages."  American
Anthropologist 78, 570-584.

Halliday, M.A.K.  1989.  Language, Context, and Text:  Aspects of
Language in a Social-Semiotic Perspective.  2nd ed.  Oxford and New
York:  Oxford University Press.

Joos, Martin.  1976.  The Five Clocks.  New York:  Harcourt, Brace, &
World.

Montgomery, Martin.  1986.  "Language and Situation:  Register."  Ch. 6
of An Introduction to Language and Society.  London and New York:
Methuen & Co.

Mai Kuha
mkuha at silver.ucs.indiana.edu