6.777, Gender Pronouns (was Ling in Science Fiction)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 5 20:06:01 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-777. Mon 05 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 158

Subject: 6.777, Gender Pronouns (was Ling in Science Fiction)

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 15:08:38 -0500 (EST)
From: 00hfstahlke at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Subject: Re: 6.726, Possessives, Ling in Science Fiction, Official Lang of USA

2)
Date: Sat, 27 May 95 9:49:50 CST
From: halasz at kewszeg.norden1.com ()
Subject: Re: 6.726, Ling in Science Fiction (Sex & Gender)

3)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 07:58:31 +0200 (SAST)
From: Roy Dace (DACE at mtb.und.ac.za)
Subject: Genderless languages

4)
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 21:29:53 -0700
From: dasher at netcom.com (Anton Sherwood)
Subject: genderless pronouns

Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 15:08:38 -0500 (EST)
From: 00hfstahlke at bsuvc.bsu.edu

Gabor Gyori writes:

>This phenomenon is not just science fiction. Hungarian has no gender
>specific pronouns, simply because it has no gender distinction at
>all. Does anyone know about similar languages? (As far as I know this
>goes for all Uralic and maybe also for the Turkic languages.)

This is generally true of Niger-Congo languages as well.  Very few of
them have gender distinctions based on sex, although systems based on
other categories are fairly wide-spread, especially in Benue-Congo,
West Atlantic and Voltaic.  One of the most readable reviews of noun
class systems in Africa is still William Welmers' three chapters in
his _African Language Structures_ (University of California Press,
1973).

Herb

+ Herbert Stahlke, Ph.D.          ||   Email:  00HFSTAHLKE at BSU.EDU +
+ Associate Director              ||       or  HSTAHLKE at BSU.EDU    +
+ University Computing Services   ||                               +
+ Professor of English            ||   Phone:  317-285-1843        +
+ Ball State University           ||   Fax:  317-285-1797          +
+ Muncie, IN  47306               ||                               +