6.791, Sum: Mongolian -g-

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 9 03:45:54 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-791. Thu 08 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 76

Subject: 6.791, Sum: Mongolian -g-

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 01:44:19 -0400
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: Sum: Mongolian -g-

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 01:44:19 -0400
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

Some weeks ago I posted a query as to the historical source of an epenthetic
/g/, which appears between certain stem-final and suffix-initial vowels in
Mongolian.  Only Sergej Krylov knew about Mongolian specifically, and his
message appears below.

>Some remarks about the epenthetic  /g/ in Mongolian.
>As far as I know:

>1) In "hard" words it is not phonetically /g/, it is a
>fricative sound (written phonetically as the Greek "gamma").
>In "soft" words it is /g/. (Note that the traditional terms for >"hard" and
"soft" words are "back" and "front" recpectively,
>but at least for Khalkha the terms "hard"and "soft" are
>preferable).

>2) Historically it was not an epenthesis.  On the contrary, in
>Proto-Mongolian there was no long vowels, and between the
>short vowels corresponding the modern Mongolian "morae"
>(halves of the long syllables) there was "g". The Old Mongolian >Script
shows it rather clearly. Then this "g" became
>"weakened" between vowels, and then it was fully omitted,
>and instead of two syllables appeared two-morae (that is,
>long) syllables.

>        But there were some phonological positions where there >were no
elision of "g", namely, where two sequences of the
>type V+g+V followed after each other. That is:
         VgV --) VV --> long V; but
         VgV+VgV --) VVgVV --> long V+g+long V (it was before
>suffixes with initial VgV) (unfortunately I don't know how to >represent
"gamma" and the transcriptional symbol of length in)this e-mail system and
have to write"g" and "long").