6.797, Comparative method: N-ary comparison

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 9 06:26:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-797. Fri 09 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 333

Subject: 6.797, Comparative method: N-ary comparison

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:14:58 +1000 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject: Comparative method: N-ary comparison

2)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 1995 15:50:32 +0930
From: "David M. W. Powers" (powers at ist.flinders.edu.au)
Subject: Re: 6.768, Comparative Method: N-ary comparison again

3)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Scott DeLancey (delancey at darkwing.uoregon.edu)

4)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 18:04:53 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Re:  6.438 Fun: How to make linguistic theory, Pre-Proto-World Unveiled

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:14:58 +1000 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)

Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU) just wrote:

)Janhunen 1992 argues that the odds of finding apparent
)matches simply by chance when Japanese is compared to the four
)Altaic languages/subgroups, viz., Turkic, Mongolic, Tungusic, and
)Korean, are four times as high as are the odds of finding such
)spurious matches when Japanese is compared to just one language.

)In other words, Janhunen assumes that a 5-ary comparison is four
)times as likely to produce matches purely by chance (what I call
)'false positives') as is a binary comparison.  This, needless to
)say, is a fallacy, but there you have it.

I was curious to check that, so I turned to my simulation program
"chance". With 200 words, a one-in-250 chance of accidental
resemblances, semantic domains of size 8, I saw, after 600 simulations:

For 2 languages:   31.10 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
For 5 languages:  141.14 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
                   12.01 attested by 3 languages
                    0.22 attested by 4 languages
           Total: 153.37 spurious resemblances per simulation.

Yes, 153 chance resemblances out of a sample list of 200 words! That
is the cost of allowing semantic shifts.

Then, not allowing semantic shifts, I got, with the same parameters, the
following results:

For 2 languages:   0.535 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
For 5 languages:   4.907 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
                   0.022 attested by 3 languages
           Total:  4.927 spurious resemblances per simulation.

I was extremely surprised at both sets of results: an 5-ary comparison
is from 5 to about 10 times as likely to yield spurious resemblances as
a binary comparison!

My curiosity piqued, I tried again, with a vocabulary size of 100
words only.

Semantic domain size: 8
For 2 languages:   14.50 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
For 5 languages:   83.88 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
                    5.80 attested by 3 languages
                    0.13 attested by 4 languages
           Total:  89.81 spurious resemblances per simulation.

About seven times as likely.

Semantic domain size: 1 (i.e. no semantic shifts allowed)
For 2 languages:   0.219 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
For 5 languages:   2.509 spurious resemblances per simulation
                         attested by 2 languages
                   0.008 attested by 3 languages
           Total:  2.517 spurious resemblances per simulation.

About twelve times as likely.

Note that 600 simulations are not enough to get anything near
two decimal places accuracy. I just did not have the time
to wait for a more reasonable 10,000 iterations to run.

For details on the simulation method itself, see my article
in Anthropos Vol.90:223-228 "The Incidence of Chance Resemblances
on Language Comparison".

j.guy at trl.oz.au