6.801, Qs: Locatives, Y. Lastra, Origin/historical meaning

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 9 07:04:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-801. Fri 09 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 104

Subject: 6.801, Qs: Locatives, Y. Lastra, Origin/historical meaning

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 12:13:42 +0100
From: starke at asg.ag-berlin.mpg.de (Michal Starke)
Subject: case-marked locatives

2)
Date:         Thu, 08 Jun 95 08:58:24 PDT
From: David Beck (DJBECK at UVVM.UVic.CA)
Subject:      desparately seeking

3)
Date: 08 Jun 95 19:34:23 EDT
From: "Michael C. Beard" (73131.3101 at compuserve.com)
Subject: Odd descriptions of character

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 12:13:42 +0100
From: starke at asg.ag-berlin.mpg.de (Michal Starke)

Does anyone know about locative elements such as English _there_ which are
(overtly) case-marked, i.e. have a different form when used as subjects and
objects?

If so, are there cases where the locative is also used as an expletive (as
in the English: _there_ came a man)?

Please reply to me (starke at uni2a.unige.ch or the above one) and I will post
a summary,
thanks