No subject

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jun 17 21:50:10 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-821. Sat Jun 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  83

Subject: 6.821, Syldavian

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: hdry at emunix.emich.edu (Helen Dry)

Date:  Fri, 09 Jun 1995 16:03:19 +1000
From:  j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject:  Re: 6.790, Varia: Possessives, Syldavian, Etymogical Dictio

2)
Date:  Sat, 10 Jun 1995 12:09:26 PDT
From:  WDEREUSE at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject:  Re: 6.775, Syldavian Tutorial

Date:  Fri, 09 Jun 1995 16:03:19 +1000
From:  j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)

I never expected that my silly "le syldave sans peine" would have
elicited so many responses.

Five Belgian readers e-mailed me that Syldavian was in fact
Brusselaar camouflaged under a Slavic orthography, and that
"Eih bennek, eih blavek" really was "hier ben ik, hier blijf
ik" which even my nearly non-existent Dutch let me immediately
understand: "here I am, here I stay". Herge, your red
herring of "qui s'y frotte s'y pique" had led me into
thinking that most of this Syldavian was nothing but
gibberish! I was persuaded that it was a mixture of German,
with a bit of Russian (niet) and plenty of made-up words.

One correspondant took my astonishment to new heights:
Arumbaya (see "L'oreille cassee") is also Brusselaar!

Alas, try as I may, even armed with this key, I could still
make neither head nor tail of Arumbaya. A few words, of
course (khapouth for instance), but I could not translate
a single sentence. Except perhaps: Tintin zouka da pikuri
which I think might be "Tintin zoekt de Pikeurs" an allusion
to "Les cigares du Pharaon"????