No subject

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jun 17 22:06:59 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-822. Sat Jun 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  248

Subject: 6.822, Genderless Languages

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: remmers at emunix.emich.edu (John H. Remmers)

Date:  Tue, 06 Jun 1995 09:29:28 BST
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk ("Larry Trask")
Subject:  Genderless languages: Basque

2)
Date:  06 Jun 1995 00:43:00 EST
From:  SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu ("STEVE SEEGMILLER")
Subject:  RE: 6.777, Gender Pronouns (was Ling in Science Fiction)

3)
Date:  Thu, 08 Jun 1995 11:43:34 +0700
From:  GYORIG at btk.jpte.hu
Subject:        Re: Re: 6.726, Ling in Science Fiction (Sex & Gender)

4)
Date:  Wed, 07 Jun 1995 13:32:46 BST
From:  ortmann at sapir.ling.uni-duesseldorf.de (Albert Ortmann)
Subject:  Re: 6.726, genderless languages

Date:  Tue, 06 Jun 1995 09:29:28 BST
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk ("Larry Trask")

Basque may fairly be described as a language lacking grammatical
gender.  There is no trace of anything resembling gender distinctions
or gender agreement such as is found in Indo-European or Bantu, and
there is no sex-marking in pronouns.  There are just two rather
marginal phenomena that might be interpreted as traces of gender, if
you're so inclined.

First, animate NPs form their local cases slightly differently from
inanimate NPs (though all non-local cases are formed identically).

Second, when you address someone with the intimate second-person
singular pronoun, and the agreement marker in the verb happens to be
a suffix, there are distinct markers for male and female addressees.
This doesn't happen when the marker is a prefix, or in the unmarked
second-person singular, or indeed anywhere else in the language.
Anyway, there aren't many people you can address with the intimate
form: not even your spouse or your parents.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH