6.823, Qs: German, Nostratic, Romanization, Chinese Errors, Shoebox

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jun 17 22:51:51 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-823. Sat Jun 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  280

Subject: 6.823, Qs: German, Nostratic, Romanization, Chinese Errors, Shoebox

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: remmers at emunix.emich.edu (John H. Remmers)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 1995 13:10:38 CDT
From:  FANSHEN at datalab2.sbs.sunysb.edu
Subject:  Re: 6.793, Qs: Mohawk, Russian, Banning of German  I. Mel'cuk

2)
Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 1995 11:57:00 PDT
From:  tlander at cse.ogi.edu (Terri Lander)
Subject:   romanizations

3)
Date:  Tue, 13 Jun 1995 10:39:02
From:  am%macdict at macdict.dict.mq.edu.au (Alison Moore)
Subject:  Nostratic

4)
Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 1995 19:37:38 +0800
From:  gauier at cc.nsysu.edu.tw (Gerard Gautier)
Subject:  Typical errors of chinese students in french

5)
Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 1995 10:51:43 EDT
From: rykov at iling.msk.su (Vladimir Rykov)
Subject: Shoebox

Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 1995 13:10:38 CDT
From:  FANSHEN at datalab2.sbs.sunysb.edu

  3)
  Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 01:44:22 -0400
  From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
  Subject: Q: German banned in Iowa

  I've recently received a message from a man who claims that during World War
  I, the use of German and other languages was made "illegal" in the state of
  Iowa by decree of the governor.  This is very interesting to me, since my own
  family's stories of anti-German discrimination in Michigan at that time are
  limited to a snide remark or two about our surname.  Below is the relevant
  part of the man's message.  Can anyone vouch for the veracity of what he
  says?

  James Kirchner

  )Here in Iowa where I grew up most household language was a >foreign
  language the early part of this century. The public
  )schools were English of course. My uncle went to a local
  )"German" school which was a parochial school. It was
  )necessary because all the German Lutheran Church liturgy and >Bibles were in
  Luther's German so the Plattdeutsch speaking
  )people had to go to school to learn it. World War I ended that. >The Iowa
  governor issued a proclamation banning the speaking)of any foreign language
  in public places. Phone operators were)instructed to pull the plug on any
  non English telephone
  )conversations. Party line patrons were to hold the telephone
  )receiver up to the mouth piece so the resulting whistling
  )would interfere with non English speech. All modern language >instruction
  was dropped from school curriculums. A blow
  )from which the school system never really recovered.
  )Newspapers published reports of people arrested on the
  )street for speaking German. This was a real hardship on older >immigrants.
  All German language newspapers were
  )suppressed. Our rural county had German papers at one time.
  )In fact the editor of one was once elected the county
  )treasurer. This day and age it is all somewhat embarrassing. I >stumbled on
  to the fact that the State of Iowa organized what)amounted to a secret
  police agency. The state formed an
  )agency whose purpose was to investigate acts of disloyalty.
  )They were given the power to levy fines and imprison people
  )for the duration of the war without benefit of trial. America's >active
  participation was relatively short lived so the agency)was not around long.
  It would make an interesting research
  )paper sometime if any records still exist.

This happened in several midwest states. The issue reached the
supreme court in the early 20's in the case "Meyer vs. Nebraska", the
court ruled against Nebraska, effectively eliminating the laws.

Frank Anshen
Dept of Linguistics
State U of NY
Stony Brook, NY 11794