6.825, Comparative Method

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 22 03:09:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-825. Wed 21 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 157

Subject: 6.825, Comparative Method

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 11:57:00 -0700
From: alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)
Subject: Re: 6.797, Comparative method: N-ary comparison

2)
Date:         Fri, 09 Jun 95 11:17:54 EST
From: AVVOVIN at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU

3)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 08:50:40 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 11:57:00 -0700
From: alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)

I, too, had noted that there seemed to be two notions of comparison here,
but unlike Scott Delancey I did not assume that there we should distinguish
between comparison for the sake of building a reconstruction and simply for
the sake of determining possible relationship.  To my mind, the numbers that
Jacques Guy posted demonstrate, not the weakness of n-ary comparison, but
its strength:  If we are looking at a grouping of languages of which we are
uncertain of relationships, and the number of potential n-way cognates is as
low as random chance would dictate, then the likelihood is against their
being closely-enough related to pursue reconstruction.

I think this answers, by the bye, David Powers' perhaps rhetorical question
regarding the assumptions under which Janhunen's claims could be considered
a fallacy.

I'm not quite sure how to address Powers' conclusions, however.  The methods
of comparison most of us accept have built into them a checking mechanism,
such that acceptance of some set of matches as "true" (in Powers' terms)
constrains the set of further matches we can accept:  What he considers to
be "false" matches may not, under these constraints, be treated as matches
at all.  Under this methodology, n-way comparison *does* increase the ratio
of signal to noise in the data.

I do not have access to Janhunen's original statements.  If Alexis Manaster-
Ramer has summarized them accurately, I have to conclude either that Janhunen
is unfamiliar with the actual workings of the comparative method, or that the
conclusion summarized by AMR is disingenuous in the extreme--and is indeed a
fallacy, either way.

Rich Alderson