6.829, Genderless lgs

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 22 05:06:32 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-829. Thu 22 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 107

Subject: 6.829, Genderless lgs

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 20:04:04 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Genderless ?

2)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 09:19:37 -0700
From: polmansl at ix.netcom.com (paul manansala)
Subject: Re: Genderless

3)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 95 11:28:23 +0300
From: jklindst at waltari.Helsinki.FI (Jan K Lindstrom)
Subject: Genderless lgs

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 20:04:04 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)

In some languages which are standarly described as genderless
it is still the case, I am pretty sure, that people say things
like 'that woman' instead of 'she' and because this looks like
a purely lexical matter, the appearance of genderlessness is
preserved.  I wonder if this applies to the languages recently
described as genderless on this list.