6.832, Sum: Banned German, "English Only"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 22 16:39:20 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-832. Thu 22 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:

Subject: 6.832, Sum:  Banned German, "English Only"

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 01:22:50 -0400
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: Sum:  Banned German, "English Only"

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 01:22:50 -0400
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

A few weeks ago I posted part of some correspondence I received about the
banning of German in Iowa during WWI.  Because the responses brought up the
matter of "English Only" or "Official English" (depending on one's leanings)
I posted a further query as to whether anyone knew of any recently proposed
law in the US that would out and out ban languages other than English.  First
I'll thank everybody, then I'll summarize the German ban, then official
English.

Thanks to:

SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu (STEVE SEEGMILLER)
FANSHEN at datalab2.sbs.sunysb.edu (Frank Anshen)
kiel at u-aizu.ac.jp (Kiel T. Christianson)
kyeager at prism.nmt.edu (Deborah Yeager)
rwachal at black.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bob Wachal)
smburt at heartland.bradley.edu (Susan Burt)
m200754 at er.uqam.ca (MICHEL PLATT)
LIGO523 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Keith Walters)
CNELSON at VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Dr. Christian K. Nelson)
NIEWBOER at let.rug.nl (R. Nieuweboer)
ffgbc at aurora.alaska.edu (COOPER GORDON B)
anfallen at ursula.uoregon.edu (Anthea Fallen-Bailey)

BANNED GERMAN:

The original quote I posted ran thus:

)Here in Iowa where I grew up most household language was a)foreign language
the early part of this century. The public
)schools were English of course. My uncle went to a local
)"German" school which was a parochial school. It was
)necessary because all the German Lutheran Church liturgy and)Bibles were in
Luther's German so the Plattdeutsch speaking)people had to go to school to
learn it. World War I ended that.)The Iowa governor issued a proclamation
banning the)speaking of any foreign language in public places. Phone
)operators were)instructed to pull the plug on anynon English)telephone
conversations. Party line patrons were to hold the)telephone receiver up to
the mouth piece so the resulting)whistling would interfere with non English
speech. All modern)language instruction was dropped from school curriculums.
A)blow from which the school system never really recovered.
)Newspapers published reports of people arrested on the
)street for speaking German. This was a real hardship on older)immigrants.
 All German language newspapers were
)suppressed. Our rural county had German papers at one time.
)In fact the editor of one was once elected the county
)treasurer. This day and age it is all somewhat embarrassing. I)stumbled on
to the fact that the State of Iowa organized what)amounted to a secret
police agency. The state formed an
)agency whose purpose was to investigate acts of disloyalty.
)They were given the power to levy fines and imprison people
)for the duration of the war without benefit of trial. America's)active
participation was relatively short lived so the agency)was not around long.
It would make an interesting research
)paper sometime if any records still exist.

I got many confirmations that this actually happened, and not only in Iowa.