6.855, Notice to subscribers

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 23 18:57:09 UTC 1995

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 1995 14:23:53 EDT
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST List)

Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 1995 14:23:53 EDT
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST List)

Moderators' Note:  As some of you have noted, we have fallen
behind in posting messages this summer.  The reason is that we
are extremely shorthanded right now.  As you know, none of our
student editors is paid during the summer, so if they want to
go to the LSA Institute (Ljuba and Anna), take a "real"
9-5:00 job (Ron), or even get married (Ann), all we can say is:

        a) Godspeed
        b) Boy, do we now realize how much work you were doing
           all year!

We haven't edited without help since the list was 1000
subscribers. Now it's 6500; and we find that we simply can't
keep up in the time we have to give to LINGUIST.  (Unfortunately,
our universities expect us to teach, write, run academic programs,
and otherwise pretend we're professors.  Editing LINGUIST is strictly
extra-curricular.)

All this is said, not in order to complain, but simply to ask for
your patience with the inevitable slowdown.  At this point, we don't
see anything we can do about it.

However, in a few weeks, things should improve.  Ann (bride of
2 weeks!) is helping out now when she can; and the others will
help out again when they get settled.  Also, software that will
make the editing faster should be in place by the end of summer.
But, of course, the real solution would be paid editors in the
summer, i.e., grad students on fellowship and enrolled in summer school.

Thus, we want to thank--most heartily--those of you who have
contributed to the LINGUIST Development Fund that makes possible
fellowships for student editors.  After told you in April that we
were $5000 short of the $8000 we need to retain Ljuba and Ann, you
responded most generously. We received about 200 contributions ranging
from $5 to $500 and coming from all parts of the globe.  We are extremely
grateful for contributions of all sizes--and for the many encouraging
notes we received as well. The list of 1995 contributors below includes
grad students, professors, departments, universities, and commercial and
non-commercial publishers. Please take a minute to read through it, as
we would like to make sure that supporters are recognized--particularly
organizations and publishers, who contribute more as a service to
the discipline than for commercial benefits.

Unfortunately, we are still short of our goal.  If you've been thinking
of contributing but haven't gotten around to it yet, we'd very much
appreciate your help.  Please send your contributions to:

        LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
        c/o English Dept.
        Eastern Michigan U.
        Ypsilanti, MI  48197
        USA

And, once again, our most sincere thanks to the individuals and
institutions listed below.

-Helen & Anthony

                 ----------1995 Contributors--------

Valued Supporters:

Anonymous (3)
Barbara Abbott
Maher Awad
Yukiko Sasaki Alam
Robert Beard
Elabbas Benmamoun
Robert Chandler
Linda Coleman
Alan Cienki
Donna Cromer
Stanley Dubinsky
Bethany Dumas
Susan Fischer
Frank Gladney
John Grinstead
Yukio Hirose
Alice Horning
Shin Ja Hwang
Frances Ingemann
Margaret Jackman
James Jenkins
Brian Joseph
Martin Jung
Carolyn Kirkpatrick
Yuriko Kite
Ernest McCarus
Scott McGinnis
Deborah Mandelbaum
Jeff Marck
Susan Pintzuk
Terence Potter
Mel Resnick
Burton Rosner
Catherine Rudin
Janine Scanarelli
Makoto Shimizu
Beth Simon

Patrons ($50 or more):

Anonymous
Australia National University (for PACIFIC LINGUISTICS PRESS)
Michael Bernstein (for CASCADILLA PRESS)
Garland Bills
Claude Boisson
E. Wayles Browne
Tucker Childs
Bernard Comrie
Julia Falk
James Harris
Carolyn Herrarte
Richard Hudson
Roderick Jacobs
Karen Jensen (w/matching funds from MICROSOFT)
James Kirchner
Tadao Miyamato
Katsuhiko Momoi
Daniel Radzinski
Alexis Manaster Ramer
Barbara Pearson
Joe Salmons & Monica Macaulay
UCLA
Yutaka Sato
Ernest Scatton
Karen Stanley
Karl Teeter
Theo Vennemann

Mainstays ($100 or more):

Anonymous
Victoria Fromkin
Arnold Zwicky
University of Helsinki?
ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD.
GLOBALINK: THE TRANSLATION CO.
HOLLAND ACADEMIC GRAPHICS
INDIANA UNIVERSITY LINGUISTICS CLUB PUBLICATIONS
LINGUISTICS DEPT., ACADEMICA SINICA
JOHN BENJAMINS, INC.
KLUWER ACADEMIC PUBLISHING
LAWRENCE ERLBAUM