6.857, Sum: Palindromes

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 23 23:39:47 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-857. Fri Jun 23 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  751

Subject: 6.857, Sum: Palindromes

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Fri, 09 Jun 1995 16:29:19 +0200
From:  Manfred.Immler at mch.sni.de (Dr. Manfred Immler)
Subject:  Sum: Palindromes-2

Date:  Fri, 09 Jun 1995 16:29:19 +0200
From:  Manfred.Immler at mch.sni.de (Dr. Manfred Immler)

Dear friends and co-fans of palindromes!!

This is my second summary of palindromes. I'd like
to elicit as many answers as possible from more people
of Italian, French and Spanish tongue, to find even
more palindromes hitherto unknown to me.
                           Thanks!

Manfred
************************

Excuse my bad Italian, French and Spanish:

*** Chers amies et amis linguistes,

il y a quelques semaines, j'avais publie' a l'internet une demande pour
trouver des palindromes dans autant de langues que possible, tels que
"Esope reste ici et se repose". J'ai recu un tres grand nombre de
reponses et d'exemplaires, surtout en anglais et en allemand, et je me
demande s'il n'existe pas aussi en francais beaucoup plus de
palindromes que je ne connais. Aussi je voudrais renouveler ma question
a tous si, peut-etre inspire's par les palindromes que voici dans cette
e-mail, vous ne connaissez pas plus palindromes et si vous pourriez me
les envoyer par e-mail pour que l'on puisse les publier ensuite pour
tout le monde dans la liste LINGUIST.

Merci                               Manfred

*** Cari amici e amiche,

sono un fanatico del fenomeno linguistico che si chiama 'palindromo' -
questo sono parole o frase entere che anche hanno un senso se si li
legge a rovescio - come per esempio in Inglese "rats live on no evil
star" o "A man, a plan, a canal - Panama!". Ho ricevuto molte risposte
molto interessanti, pero molto poche in Italiano. Pero' penso che
l'italiano per su struttura ortografica deve permettere particolarmente
leggermente la formazione di palindromi. Percio' vi prego, si conoscete
palindromi o libri sopra palindromi o con palindromi, per favore,
scrivetemeli, li pubblicaro dopo in un altro e-mail per tutti.

Grazie per vostro aiuto!

Manfred

*** Queridos amigos y amigas en el mundo de las lenguas:

quizas conoceis el fenomena de los 'palindromos', como por ejemplo
"dabale arroz a la zorra el abbad". Hace unas semanas envi una e-mail a
la lista LINGUIST, preguntando a los demas en la lista si conocen
cuantos mas posibles palindromos en cuantas mas posibles lenguas.
Recibi' muchas respuestas con muchas frases palindromas muy bonitas,
pero me sorprende que aparentemente hay pocas en espanol. Pienso al
contrario que debe haber muchas, dado la estructura relativamente
sencilla de la ortografia espanola. Por eso, quisiera preguntaros otra
vez si conoceis mas palindromos en espanol, y os pediria enviarmelas a
mi direccion de e-mail para que pueda publicarlas despues para todos
los otros interesados por la lista LINGUIST.

Gracias!

Manfred

************************

Several weeks ago I had the lucky idea of asking over the Internet for
palindromes in the hope of receiving as many as possible new
palindromes I did not know yet, and I was overwhelmed by the many
answers and beautiful specimens I received, many of them very amusing
and very interesting - and some so beautiful long lists, too! I will
now publish for all of you the postings I received about palindromes,
with only some minor editing - as I do not want to have too much work
with it.  (As you will certainly understand, I will not go to the
trouble of eliminating the 'duplicates' among the many palindromes
communicated to me.)

And I hope that this first round will inspire many more readers to
think about palindromes which they did not yet send to us, and to mail
them so we can post them to the rest of the LINGUIST community in a new
round later on.

What I would be interested in PARTICULARLY, are more palindromes in
French, Italian and Spanish; I am convinced there must be many many in
these languages since their structure should allow that there should be
MANY palindromes possible; but up to now I only know few.

many many repetitions, you will forgive me

I singled this one out because it is so wunderfully natural:

Si Tito ya muere de reuma, muere de reuma y otitis. (If Tito is already
dying
from rheum, he's dying from rheum and otitis)

French:

elu par cette crapule

et Luc colporte trop l'occulte

Spanish:

        ojo rojo
        [a red eye]

German, with a little defect:
s[ch]one dein tier stets, reit nie den o[ch]s
        (always spare your animal, never ride the ox)