6.878, Sum: Verbal humour

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 26 06:10:24 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-878. Mon 26 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 133

Subject: 6.878, Sum: Verbal humour

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 18:38:09 +0200
From: ahousen at vnet3.vub.ac.be
Subject: Sum: verbal humour

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 18:38:09 +0200
From: ahousen at vnet3.vub.ac.be

Dear LINGUIST readers,
I would like to thank -collectively but whole-heartedly-  the following
colleagues who replied to my query about the study of verbal humour:

Salvatore Attardo (sattardo at cc.ysu.edu)
Larry Horn (LHORN at YaleVM.CIS.Yale.Edu)
Dr. Christian K. Nelson (CNELSON at vm.cc.purdue.edu)
Erika Conrad (ELK at NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU)
E. Wayles Browne ( ewb2 at cornell.edu)
Jen Hay (Jennifer.hay at vuw.ac.nz)
Sally Jacoby  (IHW1051 at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)
EH Hubbard (HUBBAEH at alpha.unisa.ac.za)
Laura Christine Hartley (hartleyl at student.msu.edu)
Jeffrey Weber  (Jefweb at aol.com)
Theresa A. Tobin (tat at mit.edu)
Douglas Olivier (DOUGLASO at ucrac1.ucr.edu)
Richard Henry  (henry008 at maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Monique Biemans (U249061%HNYKUN11.bitnet at cc1.kuleuven.ac.be)
Julie Christiansen (juliech at mpi.nl)
Kirk Belnap  (belnapk at yvax.byu.edu)
Keith McCormick
heather marie anderson (hmanders at indiana.edu)
Inga Dolinina (dolinina at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA)
Venetia Moschovou (llrmosch at reading.ac.uk)

I have not been able to track down all the details of the references I
received so far.  Also,  some respondents sent lengthy bibliographies which
I cannot include here.  What follows is a selective compilation (note that
many respondents referred to the first two entries below):

HUMOR:  International Journal of Humor Research

Attardo, Salvatore, (1994),  Linguistic Theories of Humour, Berlin: Mouton.

Attardo, Salvatore , "The Violation of Grice's Maxims in Jokes", BLS 16 paper

Chiaro, Delia, (1992), The Language of Jokes : Analysing Verbal Play, New
York: Routledge.

Dan Van Raemdonck, (1986), "Laughstory:  Du traitement du principe de
cooperation et des maximes de conversation dans les histoires droles",
diss., University of Brussels.

Durant, J., and Miller, J.  (eds.)  1988.  Laughing Matters: A Serious Look
at Humour. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hitchcock, Inga Dolinina,  "Jokes as disguised argumentative discourse",
Proceedings of the 3rd ISSA Conference,  Amsterdam , June 1995.

Hockett, C. F. 1977a. Jokes. In The view from language: Selected essays
1948-1974, C. F. Hockett, 257-89. Athens, Ga.:  University of Georgia.

Hockett, C. F. 1977b. "Where the tongue slips, there slip I",  in The view
from Language: Selected essays 1948-1974, C. F. Hockett, 226- 56. Athens,
Ga.: University of Georgia.

Lilli Pretorius, (1990),  "Humour as defeated discourse expectations:
conversational exchange in a Monty Python text", HUMOR,  3(3).

Long, Debra L., and Arthur C. Graesser. 1988. Wit and humor in discourse
processing. Discourse Processes 11:35-60.

Lynne Hunter  (1983),  "A Gricean Look at Wit",  CLS 19

Mulkay, Michael,  "On Humor."

Nilsen, Don Lee Fred, (1993),  Humor scholarship : a research bibliography,
 Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press.

Norrick, Neal R.1993. Conversational joking: Humor in everyday talk.
Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Press.

Pepicello, W. J. 1987. Pragmatics of humorous language. Int'l J. Soc. Lang.
65:27-35.

Raskin, Victor. 1985. Semantic Mechanisms of Humor,  Dordrecht, Holland: D.
Reidel.

Raskin, Victor. 1987. Linguistic heuristics of humor: A script-based
semantic approach. Int'l J. Soc. Lang. 65:11-25.

Ruch, Willibald, Salvatore Attardo, & Victor Raskin. 1993. Toward an
empirical verification of the general theory of verbal humor,  HUMOR,
6(2):123-36.

Schultz, Thomas R., &  Maureen B. Scott. 1974. The creation of verbal
humour. Canadian Journal of Psychology 28(4):421-25.

Sherzer, Joel. 1978. "Oh! That's a pun and I didn't mean it",  Semiotica
22(3/4):335-50.

Sherzer, Joel.  1985. Puns and jokes,  in Handbook of Discourse Analysis,
vol. 3: Discourse and Dialogue, ed. Teun A. van Dijk, 213-21. London:
Academic Press.

Tiersma, Peter Meijes, Language-based humor in the Marx Brothers films,
Indiana University Linguistics Club.

Dr. Alex Housen                                 Germanic Languages Dept.
University of Brussels (VUB)            Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Tel:+32-2-6292664; Fax:+32-2-6292480; E-mail:ahousen at vnet3.vub.ac.be