6.879, Sum: Syntax texts

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 26 06:13:46 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-879. Mon 26 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 87

Subject: 6.879, Sum: Syntax texts

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: 21 Jun 95 17:26:00 EST
From: "STEVE SEEGMILLER" (SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu)
Subject: SUM: Syntax Texts

Date: 21 Jun 95 17:26:00 EST
From: "STEVE SEEGMILLER" (SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu)

A little over a week ago, I posted a query to LINGUIST asking for
suggestions for a textbook for an undergraduate course in syntax.
I would like to thank the following people for their kind replies:
Robert Beard, Philip Carpenter, Kevin B Cohen, Brian Lindsey, Alan
Munn, Helene Ossipov, John Phillips, and Robin Sackmann.

I also received replies from several people asking about my
reluctance to deal with Cambridge University Press, and several
others asking why I have decided not to use Napoli's *Syntax*
again. I have replied to both of these groups privately.

The query about syntax texts was worded in such a way as to
eliminate Napoli and Radford from consideration. With that
limitation imposed, Haegemann's *Introduction to Government and
Binding Theory* was recommended by three people. None of the other
books was mentioned more than once. However, some of these single
mentions were most useful for me because they brought to my
attention works that I had not heard of before or ones that I might
not have considered otherwise. The complete list is given below.

My thanks again to all who responded.

Steve Seegmiller
Linguistics Department
Montlciar State University
(seegmiller at apollo.montclair.edu)

Charles Bird and Timothy Shopen, article on Maninka in Timothy
Shopen (ed.) Languages and Their Speakers (or ...Status).
University of Pennsylvania Press.

Keith Brown & Jim Miller, Syntax - a linguistic introduction to
sentence structure. Harper Collins Academic, 2nd ed. 1991.

Vivian Cook, Chomsky's Universal Grammar, 2nd ed. Blackwell's 1996.

Elizabeth Cowper, Concise Intro to Syntactic Theory.

Liliane Haegemann, An Introduction to Government and Binding
Theory, 2nd ed. Blackwell's

Lieb, Hans-Heinrich: Integrational Linguistics. In: Jacobs, J.,
et.al (eds.): Syntax. An International Handbook of Contemporary
Research. Berlin;  New York: de Gruyter, 1993.

Lieb, Hans-Heinrich: Integrational Linguistics. In: Lieb,
Hans-Heinrich (ed.): Prospects for a New Structuralism. (=Current
Issues in Linguistic Theory [CILT], 96). Amsterdam; Philadelphia:
Benjamins, 1992.

Ronald Wardhaugh, Understanding English Grammar: A Linguistic
Aproach. Blackwell 1995.

Gert Webelhuth (ed.), Government Binding Theory and the Minimalist
Program.