6.897, Qs: Nonreferential NP's, Burmese, Biographies

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 28 01:11:05 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-897. Tue Jun 27 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  153

Subject: 6.897, Qs: Nonreferential NP's, Burmese, Biographies

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:48:04 +0700
From:  t-simonc at microsoft.com (Simon Corston)
Subject:  Nonreferential NP's in English

2)
Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 1995 08:51:42 +0700
From:  Helge.Sandoy at nor.uib.no (Helge Sand y)
Subject:  Burmese

3)
Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 1995 18:34:36 +0200
From:  ursula.doleschal at WU-WIEN.AC.AT (ursula.doleschal)
Subject:  biographies of linguists

Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:48:04 +0700
From:  t-simonc at microsoft.com (Simon Corston)

In a number of lgs (Roviana and Yup'ik Eskimo being the two in which I
have encountered this), nonreferential NP's are phonologically and/or
morphologically/syntactically incorporated into the vrb/verb
phrase/verb group.  Are there any similar structural clues which could
be used to identify nonreferential NP's in English?

My interest is in identifying nonreferential NP's in written English so
that a computer natural lg processing system would know not to set up
referents for them to serve as antecedents for subsequent anaphora
resolution.  Compounds (e.g. duck-shooting season) can I suppose be
treated superficially as single words, but what about things like 'lose
faith in', 'catch sight of'.  Of course, some criteria will involve
larger discourse issues, but it may be that it is possible to identify
at least some nonreferential NP's "cheaply", i.e. just by looking
within a clause and/or considering inherent lexical semantics.

I will summarize and post any replies to this list.
Regards, Simon Corston.