6.898, FYI: Pseudo-linguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 28 01:13:37 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-898. Tue Jun 27 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  242

Subject: 6.898, FYI: Pseudo-linguistics

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:57:31 +1000
From:  j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject:  ProtoWorld on sci.archaeology.mesoamerican

Date:  Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:57:31 +1000
From:  j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)

I have saved the following two articles on sci.archaeology.mesoamerican
They are typical of the sort of pseudo-linguistics that goes around.

I have argued earlier here that allowing for semantic shifts resulted
in an explosive growth of spurious resemblances (a colleague of mine
here who is into maths tells me that, with semantic shifts and
sound shifts, and n-ary comparisons, the function is an exponential
of an exponential. I have been trying to convince him to write an
article on it). Well, the author of the first article seems to have
gone the whole semantic-shift hog. He completely disregards meanings!
Should one cry, or laugh?