6.917, Qs: Reduplication, VP ellipsis/V-raising, Donnellan reference

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 30 19:35:12 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-917. Fri Jun 30 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  122

Subject: 6.917, Qs: Reduplication, VP ellipsis/V-raising, Donnellan reference

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date:  Fri, 30 Jun 1995 12:11:01 EDT
From:  adsap at ling.ohio-state.edu (Andrew D Saperstein)
Subject:  Reduplication in Child Language Acquisition and Foreigner Talk, etc.

2)
Date:  Fri, 30 Jun 1995 02:20:43 EDT
From:  BOSKOVIC at UConnVM.UConn.Edu (Zeljko Boskovic)
Subject:       query :VP ellipsis and V-raising

3)
Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 1995 21:19:41 EST
From:  052277 at acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Louise Manga)
Subject: Donnellan reference

Date:  Fri, 30 Jun 1995 12:11:01 EDT
From:  adsap at ling.ohio-state.edu (Andrew D Saperstein)

        In conducting a study of derivational morphology in creole languages,
I have been investigating the origins of reduplication in the same.
Specifically, I am trying to determine whether it is best to explain the form
and/or meaning of reduplicated structures in creoles in terms of the influence
of substrate languages or in terms of the effect of language universals, or
both.
        It has been suggested that data from child language acquisition
studies may shed light on the question.  Also, data regarding "baby talk" and
"foreigner talk" (i.e talk by adults to children and non-native speakers,
respectively) may help in determining the extent to which reduplication in
creoles should be explained in terms of language universals.  Additionally,
the patterns of use of reduplication by adult second language learners in
 theirnon-native language(s) may also prove useful.  Thus, I would greatly
 appreciate
any information you can give me (by way of data, descriptions, references,
etc.) regarding the following questions:

        1.  Is reduplication a universal feature of children's speech, baby
talk, or foreigner talk cross-linguistically?  Any examples?

        2.  Where reduplication is indeed a feature of the above-mentioned
speech varieties, what semantics are associated with the reduplicated forms?
Specifically, is reduplication used as a category-changing operation, or is it
used only in a modificatory way (e.g. diminutivization, augmentation, etc.)
with no category change effected on the words to which it applies?

        3.  Where reduplication is a feature of the above-mentioned speech
varieties, what phonological form does it take?  I.e is total reduplication
the rule (e.g. "the tiny tiny mouse')?  Or is total reduplication with
modification (e.g. "teeny-weeny") what we find?  Or do we find partial
reduplication of one kind or another, in which only syllables or parts of
syllables are reduplicated?

                                        Andy Saperstein
                                        adsap at ling.ohio-state.edu
                                        Ohio State University