6.339 Language policy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 5 15:43:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-339. Sun 05 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 199

Subject: 6.339 Language policy

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 09:08:56 +0200
From: CLUVEADD at alpha.unisa.ac.za
Subject:  6.258 Linguistic Human rights (Latvia's language policy)

2)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 95 15:50:45 FWT
From: "Marc Eisinger (+33 (1) 49 05 72 27)" (eisinger at VNET.IBM.COM)
Subject: Language policy

3)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 13:18:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: DUBARTELL at edinboro.edu
Subject: Re: 6.306 Language Policy

4)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 11:15:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Harold Schiffman (haroldfs at u.washington.edu)
Subject: Language Policy, linguistic minorities

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 09:08:56 +0200
From: CLUVEADD at alpha.unisa.ac.za

Date  mon.27 Feb 1995
>From August Cluver (cluveadd at alpha.unisa.za
Subject linguistic human rights violations

The debate on Latvia's language policy seems to be moving in a more
general direction but one topic remains clear: when does a government
violate the individual's language rights?   Tove Skutnabb Kangas
identified some of the language rights of a government:  the state has the
right to prescribe certain linguistic prerequisites  for jobs in  the official
sector.  But the most basic one is that the state has the right (in
consultation with the population) to declare one or more national
languages as official languages.  How this consultation should take place
is not at all clear.
The question that I want to pose is: does it constitute a language
violation if a government selects as only official language a
non-indigenous language spoken by less than 5 percent of the
population?   In a small economy the government naturally tends to
spend as much funds as possible on spreading the new official language
so that very little funds remain for the development of the indigenous
languages (this is related to the point made by Deborah Du Bartell).
Thus, even though the indigenous languages may be declared as
"national languages" and "part of our cultural heritage that must be
cherished" they remain underdeveloped and cannot be effectively used
outside the domains of the household and friendship circles.  This leads
to the perception that these languages are "incapable of expressing
technical and scientific concepts".  Once this perception becomes
internalised as part of the subconscious set of language attitudes, we are
at the beginning of a possible language shift cycle.
There are various African countries that fit this model but the most recent
one is the Republic of Namibia which introduced English as only official
language.  English became the language of liberation in Namibia but prior
to independence it was spoken by a very small group (less than 5% of the
total population) in fairly restricted domains, mainly in commerce and
industry.   The reasons why the existing official languages were
unacceptable to the democratically elected government will take us into
a debate other than this one on language violations by a government (of
which the previous Namibian government was also guilty).

The proceedings of the Third International Conference of the
International Academy of Language Law was held in Pretoria in April
1992 and the proceedings is publishead as Prinsloo, K.P., Y. Peeters. J.
Turi and C. van Rensburg (eds)  1993  Language, law and equality.
Pretoria: University of South Africa.  (price: $13,56).

August Cluver, Department of Linguistics, University of South Africa, PO
Box 392, Pretoria .