6.347 Rev: The Language of the Gods (Tyberg)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 9 20:32:39 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-347. Thu 09 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 32

Subject: 6.347 Rev: The Language of the Gods (Tyberg)

Review Editor: T. Daniel Seely: Eastern Michigan U.<eng_seely at emunix.emich.edu>

                            REVIEW EDITOR'S NOTE:

What follows is another discussion note contributed to our Book Discussion
Forum.  We expect these discussions to be informal and interactive; and
the author of the book discussed is cordially invited to join in.

If you are interested in leading a book discussion, look for books
announced on LINGUIST as "available for discussion."  (This means that
the publisher has sent us a review copy.)  Then contact Daniel Seely at
     eng_seely at emunix.emich.edu

-------------------------Review-------------------------------------

Judith M. Tyberg  Language of the Gods

Reviewed by Debashish Banerji      hal_computer at earthlink.net

     Most people interested in the subject of Indian studies have
found themselves confronted very early with the problem of Sanskrit
vocabulary.  Specially, as I presume is largely the case on this
forum, when one is approaching the subject through the English
language, the liberal peppering of Sanskrit terms (as often in works
of any significance) is usually a source of much bewilderment.  It may
take one some time to realize that like the Eskimo with his 99
different words for snow, the early users of the Sanskrit language
developed a highly specialized vocabulary to describe the "inner life"
of man - a granularity to which the English language is entirely
inadequate.  However, being a constantly evolving and highly adaptable
language, English assimilates quickly into itself from foreign
cultures and Indian ideas and terms are becoming native to its
universe of expression.  It is for this reason that it becomes all the
more necessary to have a correct understanding of significant Sanskrit
vocabulary.
     Inaccuracy of understanding and usage apart, the more complex
problem presented by Sanskrit vocabulary, even to the person familiar
with the language, arises from historical and philosophical variations
of usage.  For instance, the word Maya means something quite different
to the Buddhist, the Advaitin, the Vaishnav and the Tantrik; Shiva
takes on different names and varying functions through the Vedas, the
Upanishads, the Puranas, the Tantras and the Shaiva Agamas.  A clear
understanding of context is absolutely necessary to the correct
interpretation of text.
     Fortunately, there is an excellent and comprehensive aid to
introduce the gamut of important Sanskrit terms, presenting them
against the backdrop of  the historical, social, cultural, and
philosophic atmosphere of their usage. This is the book, "The Language
of the Gods", written by Dr. Judith M. Tyberg and published by the
East-West Cultural Center in Los Angeles.
     Judith (now deceased) was a direct disciple of Sri Aurobindo, who
gave her the spiritual name Jyotipriya, and her book is definitely
informed by the spiritual clarity and all-inclusive comprehensiveness
that characterises her master.
     Starting with an introduction to the mantric power of Sanskrit,
this book takes us through the message and terms of the Vedas, the
Upanishads and the  Bhagavad Gita,  the Philosophical Schools, their
exponents and Literature, the Systems of Yoga, an outline of Sanatana
Dharma, the different Indian religions, their practices and essential
terms and Buddhism with Buddhist terms in Sanskrit and Pali.  A number
of indexes at the end of the book enlarge upon the material of the
text, adding extensive terminology with meaningful interpretations.
This book is a must for all interested in Indian studies, both for the
sheer pleasure of its reading, and as an invaluable handbook for
Sanskrit vocabulary.  Handsomely hardbound in a light blue jacket, the
book costs $16/- plus postage and may be obtained by writing to the
East-West Cultural  Center, 12329 Marshall Street, Culver City, CA
90230 or calling (310) 390-9083  or you may send e-mail to Debashish
Banerji at  hal_computer at earthlink.net
     I am forwarding this review originally submitted to the Indology
mailing  list of which I am a member.  One of the responses was from
Stephen De Guilio who brought to my notice the common misconception
pertaining to "eskimo" and "snow".  He has referred me to a recent
thread on the present list.  Since I was not hitherto a member of this
list, and am only now subscribing to it, piqued by Mr. De Guilio's
comment, I would beg your indulgence in bearing with the
"misconception" through this posting, and hope you will find its
essential substance informative.

Debashish