6.342 Qs: Private lgs, Acoustic data, urkish variation, Elvis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 6 16:20:22 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-342. Mon 06 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 144

Subject: 6.342 Qs: Private lgs, Acoustic data, Turkish variation, Elvis

                           REMINDER

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 10:31:51 +0000 (GMT)
From: R J Stevenson (Rosemary.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk)
Subject: query: private languages

2)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 11:01:16 +0100 (MET)
From: Mario Cal Varela (iamario at usc.es)
Subject: Acoustic data in sociolinguistics

3)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 95 08:12 EST
From: "Dennis.Preston" (22709MGR at MSU.EDU)
Subject: Turkish variation

4)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 95 08:06:31 CST
From: TOOPS at TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Subject: QUESTION: ELVIS PRESLEIUS?

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 10:31:51 +0000 (GMT)
From: R J Stevenson (Rosemary.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk)

I have had a request from someone not on the list for literature on children
who use private languages.  The request is  from  a language support teacher
who is taking a course in bilingualism and special educational needs and who
is doing a case study on a bilingual child who seems to speak a private
language. I quote from her letter below.  Any references to similar
examples, bilingual or otherwise, or any reports of similar examples
will be gratefully received. Please send replies to me  and I will pass them
on to her.  I will post a summary of the responses if there is sufficient
interest.

Thanks in advance,

Rosemary Stevenson

"For (my) assessment in April, I have to do a case study.  I have chosen
a 5 year old Chinese boy who speaks a language which no-one, not even his
mother, understands.  It sounds Chinese, but is incomprehensible.  A
Chinese psychologist has said that there appears to be a pattern to his
utterances but she could only recognise a few words which might have been
Cantonese. His mother tongue is actually Hakka but he watches videos in
Cantonese.  His parents and 8 year old brother speak Hakka, Cantonese and
English.  The childminder, with whom he spends most of his time, speaks
Cantonese but uses `baby talk' to him.

He now knows some words in English eg. shut up, cool, get fucked(!!), O
my God!, Power Rangers, Popeye the Sailor Man, but appears to have an
articulation problem.  Apparently this is also evident in his few
recognisable words in Cantonese.

I wonder if you have ever come across a child with similar problems or if
you know of any research which has been done on children with a private
language which no-one understands.  I have found research on the language
of twins, but that hasn't proved very helpful."