6.355 Human and Non-human Languages

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 12 04:49:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List: Vol-6-355. Sat 11 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 147

Subject: 6.355 Human and Non-human Languages

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 20:44:53 -0600
From: ocls at sibylline.com (george elgin, suzette elgin)
Subject: human and non-human languages

2)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:33:44 -0500
From: ECOLING at aol.com
Subject: THINKING in other species

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 20:44:53 -0600
From: ocls at sibylline.com (george elgin, suzette elgin)

In a recent posting, Steven Schaufele proposed that in Native Tongue (a
novel) I proposed that an Alien (extraterrestrial) language was "so
radically different from human language in its structural organization that
no human seems to be able to get the hang of it (several people die
trying)." I think I can clarify; I hope so. The linguists in the novel, as
subcontractors for the U.S. government, allowed their infants to acquire
humanoid Alien languages by putting the babies into close and extensive
contact with native speakers;  standard "immersion" stuff. The government
wanted the linguists to try the same thing with nonhumanoid Alien
languages; the linguists refused. When the government tried that on its
own, the babies did not survive the experiment.

The hypothesis I was using in the novel was that native language acquistion
in infants is accomplished by entrainment -- the infant's brain waves
entrained to the brain waves of the older speaker. The linguists insisted
that there was no way  to know what effect such entrainment would have when
the native speaker did not have a humanoid brain  and refused to risk their
kids to such a process; they were right. It was fatal.

Please note that I am not proposing that human infants in the "real world"
acquire their first languages (or any other languages) by entrainment; the
idea was a plot for a series of science fiction novels, and much fun to
work with. The "people" who died trying in the book were all infants; the
entrainment ability was confined to infants. I'm orthodox, even in fiction.

   One of the perennial panels I get put on at science fiction conventions
is the one where everyone else defends the concept of the "universal
translator" -- point the gizmo at the Alien and instantly you hear the
Alien speaking English and the Alien hears you speaking whatever language
he/she speaks. I always say that there's no reason to believe that if an
Alien did have a language it would be recognizable as such by a human being
(unless it is a humanoid Alien, as in Frank Herbert's Dune series); we go
around and around. They say that unless the thing meets the specifications
for a human language it ipso facto is not a language; I tell them that they
are making my point.

I hope this is more clear.

Suzette Haden Elgin