6.374 Focus Systems, Comparative Syntax

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 16 05:59:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-374. Wed 15 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 122

Subject: 6.374 Focus Systems, Comparative Syntax

Date:    Tue, 28 Feb 95 22:37 PST
From: benji wald                           (IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)
Subject: Re: 6.305 Focus systems and Middle Egyptian

2)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:34:05 -0500
From: ECOLING at aol.com
Subject: Compar Syntax, Biological Trees

Date:    Tue, 28 Feb 95 22:37 PST
From: benji wald                           (IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)

Short correction on the focus thing.  For Yoruba first schematic
 who FOC s/he see him  I meant to type in 'who saw him?" not "who did
s/he see?"  With regard to "focus" as the the function of 'iw in Egyptian,
Vincent replied to me with another possibility.  I'm still
thinking about it, and I'll leave it to him to discuss it on the list
if he wants.   In any case, I've found out a little more about
Egyptian since then, and the main thing is I'll have to learn a LOT
more about it before I can relate    my response specifically to the
the Egyptian situation.  As it stands it should just be taken as one
 way, in response to Vince's question, that a language can have the
characteristics that he described for Middle Egyptian.   My interest
remains in both the solution to the Egyptian problem and the general
cross-linguistic spread of the kinds of focus systems I described.  Benji