6.381 Words that are their own opposites

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Mar 18 17:10:27 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-381. Sat 18 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 141

Subject: 6.381 Words that are their own opposites

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 09:47:46 -0500
From: Mary Neff (neff at watson.ibm.com)
Subject: Re: Words that are their own opposites

2)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 20:51:05 -0800
From: dasher at netcom.com (Anton Sherwood)
Subject: self-opposites

3)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 95 22:47:00 CST
From: GA5123 at SIUCVMB.SIU.EDU
Subject:  words that are their own opposites

4)
Date:          Fri, 10 Mar 1995 11:58:26 CST
From: "Jim Swanson" (SWANSONJ at columbia.dsu.edu)
Subject:       Re: 6.108 Sum: Words that are their own opposites (part 2)

5)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 01:35 +0100 (MET)
From: WERTH at ALF.LET.UVA.NL
Subject: RE: 6.293 Words that are their own opposites

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 09:47:46 -0500
From: Mary Neff (neff at watson.ibm.com)

How about this pair that are synonyms in one sense and
antonyms in another --

  outgoing : retiring

Mary S. Neff
IBM Research

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 20:51:05 -0800
From: dasher at netcom.com (Anton Sherwood)

Jules Levin wrote:
) This doesn't quite qualify, but 'overlook' means the opposite of 'look
) over':  "My accountant looked over my records but overlooked a deduction..."

"The scandal has been blamed on an oversight
on the part of the Senate oversight committee."

Anton Sherwood   *\\*   +1 415 267 0685   *\\*   DASher at netcom.com