6.383 Progressive with future time reference

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Mar 18 17:21:42 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-383. Sat 18 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 198

Subject: 6.383 Progressive with future time reference

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:41:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Elizabeth Pyatt (pyatt1 at husc.harvard.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.312 Sum: Progressive with future time reference

2)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:16:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: re 6.346 Rev: The Parameter of Aspect (C. Smith)

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:41:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Elizabeth Pyatt (pyatt1 at husc.harvard.edu)

Hello,
        Welsh is yet another language with a future progressive tense.
Welsh progressives are formed by inflecting the 'bod' (to be) for the
relaevant person, number and tense and then the non-finite verb.  Note
though that Welsh is VSO, so the order is - Bod + Subj DP + yn (Prt) + V.
        Welsh lso distinguishes progressive and non-progressive futures.

        (1) Non-Progressive

            Darlleniff   Gwen   y llyfr.
            read-fut-3s  G.     the book
            Gwen will read the book.

        (2) Progressive

            Bydd     Gwen. yn  darllen  y llyfr
            will-be  G.    Prt read     the book.
            Gwen will be reading the book.

        In addition, it is likely that that Modern Irish and Breton also
have some sort of future progressive.  However, I am not as fluent in these
languages.  Hope this is useful.

                                                Elizabeth Pyatt
                                                Harvard University