6.394 Qs: Syntactic annotation, Minimalism, Variability, Orthography

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 19 17:48:39 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-394. Sun 19 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 166

Subject: 6.394 Qs: Syntactic annotation, Minimalism, Variability, Orthography

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 17:41:36 +0000 (GMT)
From: EAGLET (eiaglet at cent1.lancs.ac.uk)
Subject: please post call for info syntactic annotation schemes

2)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:50:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Keiko Muromatsu (keiko at wam.umd.edu)
Subject:  Minimalism, Uriagereka

3)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 08:16:54 +0000
From: "R.Hudson" (uclyrah at ucl.ac.uk)
Subject: Italian variability

4)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:44:07 +0000 (GMT)
From: Dr M Sebba (M.Sebba at lancaster.ac.uk)
Subject: Query: orthography and society

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 17:41:36 +0000 (GMT)
From: EAGLET (eiaglet at cent1.lancs.ac.uk)

EAGLES (Expert Advisory Groups on Language Engineering Standards)

A new subgroup within the EAGLES Text Corpus Working Group is currently
 collecting data on corpus  syntactic annotation schemes, as a
continuation of the work already carried  out on morpho-syntactic
annotation schemes.

The purpose of this sub-group is to provide an overview of syntactic
annotation schemes in existence, and produce guidelines for the future
development of such schemes.

More specifically, we are interested in the following:

i) syntactic annotation schemes - is the scheme an implementation of an
                                       existing linguistic theory?
                     does it depend on other forms of annotation (eg. POS tags)?
                     is it language dependent/language group dependent?
ii) parsing systems - is the parser probablity-based or rule-based?
                      does the parser require restricted text or will it handle
                                            any text?

Any information on the above topics would be greatly appreciated.

EAGLES is an EU funded initiative, and is therefore working primarily
on languages with the EU, but we would also be interested in  feedback
from groups working on languages less commonly represented or from
outside of the EU.

Please send any information direct to the following address:
Eaglet at lancaster.ac.uk