6.407 Fun

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:17:14 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-407. Tue 21 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 293

Subject: 6.407 Fun

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 08:08:56 +0800 (PST)
From: alan harris (vcspc005 at huey.csun.edu)
Subject: spellcheck doesn't work

2)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 12:01:56 +1100
From: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)
Subject: palindromes

3)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 12:49:26 +0800 (PST)
From: alan harris (vcspc005 at huey.csun.edu)
Subject: the more philosphic approach to a question. . .

4)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 15:41:47 +0000 (GMT)
From: "majones at popserver.essex.ac.uk..." (majones at essex.ac.uk)
Subject: RE: 6.288 Qs: Linguistic Songs, Surv

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 08:08:56 +0800 (PST)
From: alan harris (vcspc005 at huey.csun.edu)

WHY SPELL CHECK DOES NOT WORK--A LINGUISTIC ODYSSEY
Thanks to M. Zarnosky: bruin at vt.edu Thu Feb 23 08:08:05 1995
)
) From IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 26, No. 2,
) March, 1990 -- p. 209, author name n.a. --
)
) "Catching Misspilled Words with Spilling Checker
) "As an extra addled service, I am going to put this column in the
) Spilling Checker, where I tryst it will sale through with flying colons.
) In this modern ear, it is simply inexplicable to ask readers to expose
) themselves to misspelled swords when they have bitter things to do.
) "And with all the other timesaving features on my new work processor, it is
) in realty very easy to pit together a colon like this one and get it tight.
) For instants, if there is a work that is wrong, I just put the curse on it,
) press Delete and its          Well sometimes it deletes to the end of the
) lion or worst yet the whole rage.  Four bigger problems, there is the Cat
) and Paste option.  If there is some test that is somewhere were you wish it
) where                                 somewhere else you jest put the curse
) at both ends and wash it dissapear.
) Where you want it to reappear simply      bring four quarts of water to a
) rotting boil and throw in 112 pounds of dazed chicken.  Sometimes it brings
) in the Cat that was Pasted yesterday.
) "But usually it comes out as you planned, or better.  And if it doesn't,
) there are lots of other easy to lose options..."
       Alan C. Harris, Ph. D.          TELNOS: main off:  818-885-2853
       Professor, Communication/Linguistics  direct off:  818-885-2874
       Speech Communication Department
       California State University, Northridge     home:  818-366-3165
       SPCH CSUN                                    FAX:  818-885-2663
       Northridge, CA 91330-8257 Internet email: AHARRIS at HUEY.CSUN.EDU