6.423 Qs: 'Kind of'/'sort of', Dictionary, Palindromes, NETPHON

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 24 06:49:43 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-423. Fri 24 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 194

Subject: 6.423 Qs: 'Kind of'/'sort of', Dictionary, Palindromes, NETPHON

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 12:08:39 +0100 (MET)
From: Christof Vanden Eynde (Christof.VandenEynde at rug.ac.be)
Subject: meaning of 'sort of', 'kind of' etc.

2)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:51:35 GMT+100
From: "THUMA Orsolya" (DELFIN at IZABELL.elte.hu)
Subject: Request for dictionary

3)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:51:17 -0500 (EST)
From: HARRISD at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu
Subject: Palindromes

4)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:06:44 GMT
From: S.Whiteside at sheffield.ac.uk (Sandra Whiteside)
Subject: NETPHON questionnaire

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 12:08:39 +0100 (MET)
From: Christof Vanden Eynde (Christof.VandenEynde at rug.ac.be)

to the list :
In several European languages I know of (Dutch, English, German and
French), the ordinary language word for 'category' has undergone a
meaning change, so that the same word can now also be used in an
'approximative sense'. 'Kind of' and 'sort of' (like Dutch 'soort
van', French 'sorte de' and German 'Art von') can be used in sentences
like (1)"A zebra is a kind of horse". "Kind of" does not imply (full)
category membership in this instance, as is shown by the fact that
informants are willing to assert (1) while denying the truth of (2)
"A zebra is a horse".
Moreover, the 'approximative' meaning of 'kind of' can (in English at least) be
 used with verbs and adjectives (cfr. "He's kinda weird").
I would like to know whether in non-Standard Average European languages
the ordinary language word for 'category' has undergone the same meaning
change.

Christof Vanden Eynde
Department of Dutch Linguistics
University of Gent (Belgium)