6.426 Sum: Uptalk

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 24 07:09:16 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-426. Fri 24 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 66

Subject: 6.426 Sum: Uptalk

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:11:29 -0800 (PST)
From: LAUREL R BALYEAT (laurba at mercury.sfsu.edu)
Subject: SUM: Uptalk

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:11:29 -0800 (PST)
From: LAUREL R BALYEAT (laurba at mercury.sfsu.edu)

Recently I asked for information on uptalk or high rising terminal. I
received many responses from people and a number of useful references.
I want to thank the following people for their help:

Cynthia McLemore
Janet Holmes
Gregory Ward
Marc Picards
David Britain
Carolyn Buck-Gengler
Laura A. Michaelis
Julia Hirschberg
And
Elizabeth Whalley

I received the following references:
Allan, Scott 1990. The rise of New Zealand intonation.In Allan Bell &
  Janet Holmes (eds.) New Zealand Ways of Speaking English. Clevedon,
  Avon: Multilingual Matters. 115-128.
Britain, David 1992. Linguistic change in intonation:the use of High
  Rising Terminals in New Zealand English. Language Variation & Change.
  vol.4, 1: 77-104.
Britain, D & John Newman 1992.  High rising terminals in  New Zealand
  English. In Journal of International Phonetic Association
   vol. 22:1/2:1-11.
McLemore, Cynthia 1991. The interpretation of L*H in English. Texas
  Linguistic Forum 32: Discourse: 175-96.
McLemore, C. 1992. Prosodic variation across discourse types. IRCS
  Work-shop on Prosody in Natural Speech.117- 128.
Hirschberg, J & Ward,G. The interpretation of the high-rise question
  contour in English.Soon to appear in the Journal of Pragmatics.
In addition, I received suggestions and support from many people for
which I am thankful.

Sincerely,

Laurel Balyeat