6.430 Words that are their own opposites

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 24 18:20:28 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-430. Fri 24 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 190

Subject: 6.430 Words that are their own opposites

From: Marion.Kee at A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 18:19-EST
Subject: Re: 6.381 Words that are their own opposites

2)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 22:05:23 CST
From: (GLADNEY at VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU)
Subject:  autoantonyms

3)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:35:04 +0100
From: arian at th.vu.nl

4)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 13:39:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "Karen Baumer (GD 1999)" (kbaumer at minerva.cis.yale.edu)
Subject: Words that are their own opposites

5)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 14:04:21 -0800
From: edwards at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU (Jane A. Edwards)
Subject: Re: Words that are their own opposites

From: Marion.Kee at A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 18:19-EST

Several people submitted "overlook" and "oversight", which are fine
examples of this phenomenon in English (though I think that
Mary Neff's "outgoing : retiring" is perhaps the most elegant
submission to date.)  Perhaps my current work on the various shades of
meaning in English prepositions has biased me, but in any case I think
that the difference in the various senses of "oversight" and "overlook"
stems largely from their compounding with "over-".  "over" is sneaky;
at first glance it seems to be fairly limited in expressive power, but
deeper analysis reveals that in it lurk a number of distinctions of
meaning, some of them quite subtle indeed.  In addition to nuances of
physical location, "over" can indicate power relationships (both
outright force, and more subtle authority), value judgements, and
the general notion of (metaphorically) moving on to another thing,
as in "get over it" and "skip over".  So my analysis of "oversight" and
"overlook" would be that in one sense, "over" takes on the meaning of
authority-over, and in the other sense it takes on the meaning of
skipping-over.

Perhaps a similar argument could be make for the "sight/see/look" part
of the compound?  For instance, useages such as "see to it" "look to
your own interest" seem to carry some of this "authority" meaning.
I think the "over" analysis is more clear-cut, but it would be
interesting to see if someone will make a case for the other half.

 --Marion Kee

Marion Kee                                         | All opinions are my own;
Knowledge Engineer, Center for Machine Translation | when CMU wants my opinions
Carnegie Mellon University    Pittsburgh, PA, USA  | it pays for them.