6.445 Calls: Vygotsky, Lavender languages

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 27 05:08:16 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-445. Sun 26 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 239

Subject: 6.445 Calls: Vygotsky, Lavender languages

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 14:25:59 -0600 (CST)
From: SMAGOR at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Subject: CALL FOR PROPOSALS

2)
Date:         Wed, 22 Mar 95 15:55:24 EST
From: "Melinda R. Michels" (MM4407A at american.edu)
Subject:      Call for Papers--Lavender Languages III

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 14:25:59 -0600 (CST)
From: SMAGOR at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu

                      VYGOTSKY CONFERENCE:
         CALL FOR PROPOSALS and REGISTRATION INFORMATION

     In a previous e-mail announcement we described a conference
celebrating the centennial of Vygotsky's birth.  The conference
will be held in Chicago Feb. 23-25, 1996, and is tentatively titled
"A Vygotsky Centennial: Vygotskian Perspectives on Literacy
Research." In this follow-up announcement we are soliciting calls
for roundtable discussion proposals and providing information about
how to register for the conference.

CALL FOR PROPOSALS
     We have received a favorable response to the initial
announcement about the conference.  A number of people suggested
ways to include additional presentations to the program.  As you
might recall, the schedule we originally listed looked like this:

                            Speakers
Arnetha Ball       U. of Michigan
Courtney Cazden    Harvard
Anne Haas Dyson    UC-Berkeley
Judith Green       UC-Santa Barbara
Kris Gutierrez     UCLA
Vera John-Steiner  U. of New Mexico
Luis Moll          U. of Arizona
James Wertsch      Clark U.

                       Tentative Schedule
Friday Evening (Feb. 23)
7:30-7:45   Carol and Peter--Greeting
7:45-8:45   Opening Speaker (Speaker #1)
8:45-9:15   Breakout Groups
9:15-10:30  Cocktails

Saturday (Feb. 24)
8:00-8:30   Breakfast
8:30-9:30   Speaker #2
9:30-9:45   Coffee
9:45-10:45  Speaker #3
10:45-11:15 Breakout Groups
11:15-12:15 Speaker #4
12:15-2:00  Lunch
2:00-3:00   Speaker #5
3:00-3:45   Panel Discussion
3:45-4:45   Speaker #6
4:45-6:30   Cocktails

Sunday (Feb. 25)
8:30-9:00   Breakfast
9:00-10:00  Speaker #7
10:00-10:15 Coffee
10:15-11:15 Speaker #8
11:15-11:45 Breakout Groups
11:45-12:00 Closing (Carol and Peter)
12:00-12:30 Research Assembly Business Meeting

     We are currently exploring the idea of replacing at least one
of the breakout discussion sessions with concurrent roundtable
presentation/discussions.  Towards that end, we are now announcing
a call for proposals for roundtables to be presented at the
conference.  Please keep in mind the following:

1.  Because of budget limitations, we can provide no travel support
or meal money, nor can we waive the registration fee for roundtable
presenters.
2.  Any proposal for a roundtable must explain clearly how the
session will draw on Vygotskian principles to account for some
aspect of literacy development.
3.  Proposals should not exceed 2 single spaced pages.
4.  Deadline for receiving proposals is June 1, 1995.

Send 4 copies of your proposal to Peter Smagorinsky (address
below).  On 1 of these copies, include a cover page listing the
names of all presenters with their addresses, e-mail addresses, and
phone and fax numbers.  On the other 3 copies, remove all
references to the presenters' names.

CONFERENCE REGISTRATION
     The registration fee for the conference varies depending on
your work status and how long you intend to stay at the conference.
The fees run as follows:

Regular rate, Friday-Sunday:           $90
Full-time student rate, Friday-Sunday: $60
On-site registration:
     Regular, Friday-Sunday:           $100
     Student, Friday-Sunday:           $70

     You may use this bulletin as your registration form.  Please
make out your check to NCTE Assembly for Research, and include the
following information:

Name:
Institutional affiliation:
Departmental affiliation:
Address:

Home phone #:
Work phone #:
e-mail address:
fax #:

REGISTRATION CHECKS ARE NONREFUNDABLE.  Because we anticipate high
attendance, we view your registration as a commitment to attend the
conference.  Registration for the conference will be on a first
come, first served basis.  When we reach the enrollment cap we will
close registration for the conference.

HOTEL REGISTRATION
     Most conference registrants stay at the host hotel, the
Bismarck.  Room fees run $75 per night regardless of how many
people stay in the room.  For registration information call the
Bismarck at 1-800-643-1500.

Please address all conference inquiries to:

Carol D. Lee
Northwestern U.
School of Education and Social Policy
2003 Sheridan Rd.