6.460 German Affricates

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 28 03:50:24 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-460. Mon 27 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 136

Subject: 6.460 German Affricates

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 13:51:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Desrochers Richard (desrochr at ERE.UMontreal.CA)
Subject: Re: 6.393 Sum: German /tS/ (tsch)

2)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:40:43 +1030
From: "David M. W. Powers" (powers at ist.flinders.edu.au)
Subject: Affricates--one segment or two

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 13:51:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Desrochers Richard (desrochr at ERE.UMontreal.CA)

As naive as may seem to be the following arguments, I see no reason to
consider German /tS/ as a single segment. As far as I know (I have no
German grammar or dictionary at hand), the distribution of /tS/ is very
limited, it occurs mainly in word-final position (or within compounds
like Deutschland, does not seem to occur in initial position or even
within the same morpheme in a word. On the other hand, have the sequence
/St/ in word initial position (Stark, Stump, buchStabieren, Stein.
Compare with this /pf/ which is more plausibly a single segment, since it
occurs in a greater variety of contexts (Pferd, A"pfel, Kopf).(and /fp/
does not seem to occur, at least in word-initial and final position)
For me, that settles the question, unless I have overlooked decisive data.