6.462 IPA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:03:22 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-462. Tue 28 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 126

Subject: 6.462 IPA

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:46:33 +0100 (NFT)
From: fs3a505 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (A. Stenzel)
Subject: Re: 6.421 IPA

2)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 12:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: RUBBAJ at axe.humboldt.edu
Subject: IPA

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:46:33 +0100 (NFT)
From: fs3a505 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (A. Stenzel)

In his posting, David P. Branner asks:
)
) I asked in an earlier egram (Vol-6-199) why it would benefit me, as an
) active fieldworker, to have a completely revamped phonetic alphabet.  I am
) still waiting for a plausible answer.  I am happy with IPA most of the
) time, and when I'm not I innovate as necessary.  A complete overhaul would
) be wrenching for me and probably leave me feeling extremely alientated.
) More likely, I would just go on using the IPA and Chinese IPA symbols I
) already use, and the dubious goal of a new, unified standard phonetic
) system would fail.
)
It springs to my mind that there are coding systems that somehow parallel the
development of phonetic alphabets: writing systems. In Western Europe, we are
used to use the same Latin alphabet, but on close inspection there is a lot
of variation: various languages are written with the help of quite
a few diacritics (Scandinavian lgs, Slavic lgs, German, Turkish, Spanish etc).
To my knowledge, a Latin-based alphabet has been developd for Japanese, but
it is not in widespread use. And Russians, Arabs, Iranians and many others
stick to their writing systems. This lets one ask: Why? And the answer is
quite close to Branner's stance concerning IPA: People are used to it, they
have (at least partially) adapted it to their specific needs, and it forms
a part of their culture.

Of course, IPA is a tool for the study and description of the sounds of human
languages, but the quest for the ideal writing systems appears to be endless.
So it appears quite natural that students of e.g. Chinese have their own codes,
people working on Amerindian languages another, and so on. As long as they com-
municate with each other, this is OK, and if they want to communicate to other
people, well: they just explain their set of symbols. Wouldn't a Grand Unified
Aplhabet be either clumsy or impoverished?

Just consider these thoughts as an outsiders, i.e. non-phoneticist,
contribution.

Achim Stenzel
Universitaet Hamburg