6.466 Sum: Nez Perce

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:44:37 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-466. Tue 28 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 52

Subject: 6.466 Sum: Nez Perce

Date:          Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:44:16
From: "WIEDRICK. JACK T" (WIED6480 at VARNEY.IDBSU.EDU)
Subject:       Nez Perce

Date:          Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:44:16
From: "WIEDRICK. JACK T" (WIED6480 at VARNEY.IDBSU.EDU)

I recently posted a query concerning Nez Perce and received 4 replies
(to which I have also responded individually) which I would like to
summarize here:

 -There were two Phinneys--Archie and Mark--who each published some
things on Nez Perce legends, etc., but neither of them published a
grammar of the language per se.

 -There are some language notes by A. Phinney at the American
Philosophical Society Library in Philadelphia, presumably in the
archives there.

 -Another grammar has been written by a Noel Rude for a PhD
dissertation at the University of Oregon, entitled _Discussion of Nez
Perce Grammar and Discourse_.

 -Bibliographies of some of these materials are available in Aoki's own
grammar and recently published dictionary and also in an annotated
bibliography of Nez Perce materials put out by a graduate student at
the University of Idaho.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.