6.644, Sum: Official_Language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 5 12:16:34 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-644. Fri 05 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 199

Subject: 6.644, Sum: Official_Language

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 11:52:53 +0200 (DFT)
From: fs3a505 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (A. Stenzel)
Subject: Official_Language

Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 11:52:53 +0200 (DFT)
From: fs3a505 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (A. Stenzel)

Dear LINGUISTs,

about one month ago, I posted the following query (text slightly
abridged):

    The subject matter was an alledged poll or ballot in the USA
    by the end of the last century. A friend claimed that there
    has been a poll concerning the official lg of the USA, and
    that in this poll (or Congress vote, he wasn't sure), English
    won over German by a few votes. My memory, though dim, tells
    me that this is a rumour created by Nazi propaganda in the
    Third Reich which has no relation to reality whatsoever, and
    that the US does not have an official lg (although there are
    attempts in some states to lodge such legislation). Am I
    right, and if so, are there books or articles available that
    document this Nazi propaganda trick?

A number of people answered, some of them just asking to be
informed, as they were interested in this topic as well, others
providing helpful information. The following people reacted to my
posting:

Gregory Ward (ward at pg-13.ling.nwu.edu), Hartmut Haberland
(hartmut at ruc.dk), Marlene Abrams Miller <ABRAMS at UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU>,
Dr. Christian K. Nelson (CNELSON at vm.cc.purdue.edu), Heinz Kreutz
(Heinz.Kreutz at arts.monash.edu.au), Jakob Dempsey
(jakob at u.washington.edu), Ralf Groaerhode <Afrikanistik2 at uni-
bayreuth.de), Lindsay J. Whaley (Lindsay.J.Whaley at Dartmouth.EDU>,
Peter Patrikis (Peter_Patrikis at quickmail.cis.yale.edu), David
Ganelin (ganelin at netcom.com), Dennis Baron <debaron at uiuc.edu>,
Wayne O'Neil (waoneil at MIT.EDU), Mike_Maxwell at sil.org, Anthea
Fallen-Bailey (anfallen at ursula.uoregon.edu), Stephen Huffman
(smhuffm at afterlife.ncsc.mil), Anton Sherwood <dasher at netcom.com>,
Elsa Lattey (elsa.lattey at uni-tuebingen.de), Kevin Varden
(varden at mh.meijigakuin.ac.jp), Steven Schaufele
(fcosws at prairienet.org), Deumert, A, Ana, Ms"
(ANA at beattie.uct.ac.za), Deborah Yeager <kyeager at mailhost.nmt.edu>

The following persons posted answers to the list (Vol-6-609.):
Richard M. Alderson III (alderson at netcom.com)
Tom McClive (tommcc at email.unc.edu)
Carsten Quell" (quell at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de)

The general line of all replies was that (i) I wasn't the only
person who had ever encountered that story, and (ii) that it is a
legend that contains, as legends do, a kernel of truth.

The first point to note is that the United States never have
adopted an official language, but some states have. David Ganelin
writes that
    at least 19 states do have English as the official language,
    though what this means at a practical level varies state-to-
    state.  Supposedly, a majority of Americans polled would
    support the adoption of English as the official national
    language, but I don't have supporting material for that.

But the story dates back to the times of the Continental Congress,
and sometimes is passsed on in North America in a fashion similar
to that described by Marlene Abrams Miller:

    I don't have any accurate information for you, and what
    follows may be American folklore. I dimly recall being told
    somewhere along the way in school, perhaps in junior or senior
    high school American history, that at the time of the American
    revolution (continental congress, perhaps) that there was some
    consideration of adopting German as the language. I think it
    was supposed to have been motivated more by anger at Britain
    than admiration of Germany or the German language.  So this
    would have been over 200 years ago.

The following is the reply from Christian K. Nelson:
    I immediately recalled a visit to Independence Hall in
    Philadelphia which served as the site of the Continental
    Congress during the revolution. In any case, I specifically
    recall that the tour guide claimed a vote in that Congress (or
    perhaps in the early Congress of the United States, if
    Independence Hall originally housed it after the revolution)
    was taken as to the "official language" of that Congress, and
    that English beat German by only 1 vote.  The offered
    explanation for the popularity of German in that vote was that
    the choice of German was seen as a further symbolic revolt
    against England.

A similar point is made by Jakob Dempsey who points out that
around 1789 or so there were many German speakers in the 13
colonies so that the idea was not unreasonable (Germans continued,
along with Anglo-Saxons, to be one of the largest ethnic groups in
the U.S. throughout the 19th century), and that German was favored
by many as a snub towards the British, i.e. as a gesture of
defiance and independence. Heinz Kreutz reports that this story
even entered the sociolinguistics classes at his university
(Monash).

Now you will be eagerly waiting for the "real" story". It appears
to be known as the "Muhlenberg Legend"; i.e. that German almost
became the official language of the US. As it happens, a competent
source answered to my query, namely Anthea Fallen-Bailey, who in
1992/93 wrote an undergraduate honours thesis on that subject.

She sent a summary of the relevant portions of her thesis, and
provided references:
    This trend toward rapid assimilation [of German speakers to
    English] belies a legend that, soon after the American
    Revolution, there was some discussion about replacing English
    with German, giving the impression that Germans were
    politically active in pushing nationally for equal standing of
    their culture.  What actually transpired was that anti-British
    sentiment encouraged consideration of a language other than
    English in order to enhance the break with England.
    Suggestions included Hebrew (because of the perceived link
    with the "original" language of Eden;  Greek (for the location
    of the first democracy);  or French (the language of logic and
    rationality) (Baron 1987: 37).  "The German Vote", or the
    "Muhlenberg Vote" as it has variously been called, was not
    connected with this discussion, but instead related to a
    proposal in Congress -- on petition from a group of Germans in
    Virginia -- on 13 January, 1795, to **print** all federal laws
    bilingually in German and English.  The legend further claims
    that the proposal lost by one vote;  in fact, there is no
    record of the vote.  The "lost by one vote" claim appears to
    come from a vote on an adjournment of the discussion, not the
    final vote itself (Baron 1990: 88)."

Elas Lattey adds that the legend was picked up by British and
American journalists, passed on in a distorted and inaccurate
form, and refurbished in the second half of the nineteenth century
to remind Americans that Germans might once again muster
sufficient power to turn around the language choice of the United
States. She further states that Frederick August Muhlenberg may
have cast the deciding negative vote, but that cannot be
determined from Congressional records. Kevin Varden adds that he
recalls that Muhlenberg was "a German printer, of all people, who
was concerned about the illegibility of the German double s
character in printed documents". (You may want to add 7-bit ASCII
email to this, if you wish.)

BTW, I have dug up from the abysses of my memory the source for
the "Nazi" part of my posting: I first encountered the story in
the novel by German writer Walter Kempowski (*1933), "Tadelloeser
& Wolff", where he describes in autobiographical fashion, his
youth in the Third Reich. Somewhere in that book he reports either
a history lesson or a Hitlerjugend meeting (can't recall which)
where this story is passed on as truth, and where he is told that
the decisive vote was cast by a German priest.

There remains to list all the references I have received. Thanks
to everybody who answered.

CITATIONS:

Baron, Dennis. 1990. **The English-only question:  an official
language for Americans?**  New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University
Press.

____________. 1987.  Federal English. **Language loyalties: a
source book   on the official English controversy.**, edited by
James    Crawford, 36-40.  Chicago:  University of Chicago Press.

David Crystal, 1991, Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language. Cambridge
etc 1991. p.365
Feer, Robert A. 1952. Official use of the German language in
Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography
76:394-405.

S. Heath and F. Mandabach. 1983. "Language Status Decisions and
the Law in the US".  In J. Cobarrubias and J. Fishman (eds)
Progress in Language Planning. Berlin: Mouton.

Heath, Shirley Brice "English in our language heritage" in
Ferguson, Charles A. & Shirley Brice Heath.  Language in the USA.
Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press. 1981., p. 9: