6.655, Sum: Hide-n-Seek all clear call, Babies' intellect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 9 10:29:52 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-655. Tue 09 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 230

Subject: 6.655, Sum: Hide-n-Seek all clear call, Babies' intellect

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: 07 May 95 20:23:15 EDT
From: "Michael C. Beard" (73131.3101 at compuserve.com)
Subject: Sum: Hide-n-Seek all clear call

2)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 00:44:40 -0400
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: Sum:  Babies' intellect

Date: 07 May 95 20:23:15 EDT
From: "Michael C. Beard" (73131.3101 at compuserve.com)

Thank you to all those who responded to my query of a couple
weeks ago regarding the origin and meaning of  Ollie ollie in
come free' or  Ollie ollie oxen free'.  Those who responded are
listed below: I owe them thanks specifically, and in case they
are overlooked in the actual summary, I wanted to mention them
here (in no order whatsoever).  Where affiliation was given, I've
included it beside their name:

- Anton Sherwood
- Bill King, Second Lang. Acquisition &
  Teaching Program, U. of Arizona, Tucson
- Karl V. Teeter, Professor of Linguistics Emeritus,
  Harvard University
- James Kirchner
- Alison Huettner
- Dale Russell
- Will Dowling
- Marie Egan, South Carolina
- Lynn Messing, Applied Science and Engineering
  Laboratories, duPont Institute, Wilmington, DE
- Allan C Wechsler
- David Solnit, University of Michigan
- Mark Newson
- Stavros Macrakis
- Deborah Milam Berkley, University of Washington
- Karen Stanley, Central Piedmont Community College,
  Charlotte, NC
- Jakob Dempsey, Asian Linguistics, U.Washington
- Amy Sheldon
- S J Stauffer, Georgetown
- Rich Alderson
- Rebecca Larche Moreton
- Sarah G. Thomason
- Laurel Smith Stvan, Northwestern University
- David Baxter, Department of Linguistics,
- Teresa Marcy, St. Mary's
- Nancy Clements, University of Chicago

My original query stated that I assumed  Ollie ollie...' was
derived from  All ye, all ye..' (and it was originally
represented as  all-ee all-ee' because of that assumption).  The
second part of the call was most in question: I used the phrase
 in-come free,' and my wife used  oxen free.'  Several people
replied with the variations of the call they used or heard as
children.  The first two variations are those used by me and my
wife and others as listed; other variations follow.  Please note
that where regions and dates are given, these are the places and
times listed by contributors as when and where they used the
call):

Ollie ollie in come free (Stavros Macrakis)
Ollie ollie oxen free (Anton Sherwood, Illinois,
   c. 1970; Karl Teeter, Eastern Mass., late 1930s;
   Alison Huettner, Northern New Jersey; Lynn Messing,
   Upstate New York c. 25 yrs. ago; Deborah Berkley;
   Laurel Stvan, Chicago suburbs; Rich Alderson)
Ollie ollie oxenfreed (Alison Huettner, Northern New
   Jersey)
Ollie ollie infree (Karl Teeter, Eastern Mass, late
   1930s; Bill King, Ft. Edward, NY and Ticonderoga, NY;
   James Kirchner, Grosse Pointe Park, MI)
All-ee all-ee all come free (S J Stauffer,
   South Central PA, 60s-70s)
Alley alley in free (Dale Russell ( alley' rhymes with
    Sally'))
Olly olly home free (Will Dowling, upstate New York,
   1940s-1960s)
All-ee all-ee ump come free (Marie Egan, suburban Chicago,
    ump' is pronounced like the beginning of um-pa-pa)
All-ee all-ee in (Mark Newson, Midlands (Coventry) England,
   "without any mention of free oxen or the like.")
All-ee all-ee all in free-o (Karen Stanley, Detroit)
All-ee all-ee oxen free-o (Karen Stanley, Detroit)
Oly oly ocean free (Jakob Dempsey, Indian and Chicagolang,
   (oly rhymes with holy))
Olly, Olly, Um-Phum Free (Nancy Clements)
All-ee all-ee outs in free (Teresa Marcy)
Ah-lee, Ah-lee in free, All out, come in free!
   (Rebecca Moreton, Jackson, Mississippi, 1940s)

As can be seen from these representations, there is some
variation in the opening of the call, but the greatest variation
comes in the second part of the call.  A few people mentioned
that the Peanuts cartoon actually gave an explanation of the
call's meaning: the  oxen free' portion was explained as a
contraction of  outs are in free'.  Several people suggested this
is the correct derivation.  Allan Wechsler did field work on this
when he was in elementary school (wow!).  He says,  I asked a
_lot_ of kids what they said, and I got three answers: [... Oks&n
fri], [... Ols&n fri], and [... Ots&n fri].  I don't remember how
I came to the conclusion, but I decided that all these forms must
be corruptions of "out's in free", although looking back, it
seems "all's in free" is a better theory."

In terms of origin of the call, two interesting bits of
information were submitted: Deborah Berkley was told (as a
child?) that it derived from German; Dale Russell remembers
"hearing or reading that the first word is (or is derived from)
French "allez."

Finally, as possible resources in discovering additional
information, S J Stauffer and Rebecca Moreton brought up a
reference to _The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren_ (Iona and
Peter Opie, 1959), and Sarah Thomason brought up a reference to
_Dictionary of American Regional English_, ed. by Frederic
Cassidy.

Although at this point the actual historical derivation remains a
mystery, the general consensus is that  oxen free' is the most
common form of the (probable) original phrase  outs in free.'  If
anyone comes across additional information, I'd be grateful to
read it.

Thanks again!
Michael Beard
Wayne State University