6.656, Sum: NP syntax, Dissimilation rules

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 9 10:32:55 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-656. Tue 09 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 143

Subject: 6.656, Sum: NP syntax, Dissimilation rules

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 16:52:17 +1000 (EST)
From: davids at cse.unsw.edu.au (David Scarratt)
Subject: NP syntax

2)
Date: Sun, 07 May 1995 17:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike_Maxwell at sil.org
Subject: Summary: dissimilation rules

Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 16:52:17 +1000 (EST)
From: davids at cse.unsw.edu.au (David Scarratt)

Some months ago I posted a query regarding complements and adjuncts in
noun phrases. Sincerest apologies for the delay, especially to those
who requested this summary. I've had trouble accessing the network these
last couple of months, for various reasons.

The original query:
) Does anyone know of any recent or forthcoming work on the syntax of
) Noun Phrases, in particular with reference to the
) complement/non-complement/there's-no-such-distinction status of
) modifiers within NP. I'm principally interested in English, but
) references to work on other languages are also welcome.

Thanks to:
  annabel at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Annabel Cormack)
  richard_de_armond at sfu.ca (Richard C. DeArmond)
  ufries at es.unizh.ch (Udo Fries)
  Gregory.Grefenstette at xerox.fr (Gregory Grefenstette)
  ingria at bbn.com (Bob Ingria)
  Ruth.M.Lanouette at lawrence.edu (Ruth Lanouette)
  jmartin at husc.harvard.edu (Javier Martin-Gonzalez)
  pmiller at ulb.ac.be (Philip H. Miller)
  amunn at showme.missouri.edu (Alan Munn)
  cschutze at MIT.EDU (Carson T Schutze)

Steven Abney 1986.  Functional Elements and Licensing.
    Unpublished ms. MIT.

Steven Abney 1987. The English NP in its Sentential Aspect.
    MIT dissertation.

Christa Bhatt 1990. _Die syntaktische Struktur der Nominalphrase im Deutschen_.
    Tuebingen: Gunter Narr Verlag.

Naoki Fukui 1986.  A Theory of Category Projection and its Applications.
    MIT dissertation.

Jane Grimshaw 1991. _Argument Structure_. Linguistic Inquiry Monograph 18.
    MIT Press: Cambridge, MA.

R. Ingria and L. George 1993. ``Adjectives, Nominals, and the Status of
    Arguments'', in James Pustejovsky, ed., {\it Semantics and the Lexicon},
    Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, pp. 107--127.

Andreas H. Jucker 1992. Social Stylistics. Syntactic Variation in British
    Newspapers. Berlin, New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Philip H. Miller 1992. Clitics and Constituents in Phrase Structure Grammar.
    New York: Garland. (Ph D dissertation, University of Utrecht, 1991).
    [``The section interesting you is 3.2, pp78-88.'']

Alan Munn 1995. ``The Possessor that Stayed Close to Home'', in Vida
    Samiian (ed.), _Proceedings of the Western Conference on Linguistics_.
    [available at URL ftp://showme.missouri.edu/pub/amunn/wecol94.ps]

Beatrice Warren 1978. "Semantic Patterns of Noun-Noun Compounds". Acta
    Universitatis Gothoburgensis, Gothenburg Studies in English, 41,
    Goteburg, Sweden.

Other information:
==================
Annabel Cormack (annabel at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk) writes:
) You might like to look at a working paper (not without some errors) by
) myself and Breheny in UCL Working papers in Linguistcs no6, 1994. Mainly for
) its discussion of the status of adjuncts.
) Annabel Cormack

Ruth Lanouette (Ruth.M.Lanouette at lawrence.edu), who suggested the Bhatt
reference above, writes:
) I did write one article in which I discussed Bhatt's
) analysis of NP's, and it is in English.  I'd be happy to send
) it to you (electronically or on paper), though with the caveat
) that I no longer am happy with what I said.

Javier Martin-Gonzalez (jmartin at husc.harvard.edu) writes:
) There's a person at Universidad de Sevilla (Spain) who is about to finish
) his dissertation on the syntactic analysis of NPs. His name is Javier
) Tamayo-Morillo, and his e-mail is jtamayo at sevax4.us.es  .
[I haven't received a reply to my attempts to contact the latter Javier. DS]

Thanks again to all those who responded.
--
Dave Scarratt
davids at cse.unsw.edu.au