6.657, Linguistics in Science Fiction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 9 19:41:36 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-657. Tue 09 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 72

Subject: 6.657, Linguistics in Science Fiction

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 95 09:17:32 EST
From: "Ciecierski, Ande" (ciecierski at routledge.com)
Subject: linguistics in sci/fiction

2)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 11:18:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: M J Hardman (afn11122 at freenet.ufl.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.533 Linguistics in Science Fiction

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 95 09:17:32 EST
From: "Ciecierski, Ande" (ciecierski at routledge.com)

     I'm surprised no one has mentioned _Woman on the Edge of Time_ by
     Marge Piercy. In it, a woman travels to a future time in which there
     are no more gender-specific pronouns. They use "per" for he and she
     (and his and hers if I'm remembering correctly). It was confusing at
     first, but by the end of the book, I found myself wanting to use it in
     conversation. It was a good read.

     Ande Ciecierski
     ciecierski at routledge.com