6.664, Language and Religion

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 11 17:19:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-664. Thu 11 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 120

Subject: 6.664, Language and Religion

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 08:49:55 -0800
From: zbarlev at mail.sdsu.edu (Zev bar-Lev)
Subject: Re: 6.594, Language and Religion

2)
Date:          Fri, 5 May 1995 13:41:17 SAST-2
From: "Bellusci, D, David, Mr" (DAVID at beattie.uct.ac.za)
Subject:       Re: Language and Religion

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 08:49:55 -0800
From: zbarlev at mail.sdsu.edu (Zev bar-Lev)

i believe that the idea of Hebrew as the original language (as well as the
holy language) is very widespread in Jewish religious literature, and is
widely believed by Orthodox Jews.  Jewish mysticism puts great weight on
the Hebrew alphabet, and sees it as, in effect, the tool of God's creative
activity. apart from its uses in mysticism, viz. where the numerical values
of words is believed to have hidden significance (a common example, widely
used among the non-Orthodox as well, is 18 for the root of the word for
"life").

i also agree with the claim that there is nothing specific in the Hebrew
Bible to imply that Hebrew was the language that preceded the Tower of
Babel.  the only exception to this are "puns" that work in Hebrew, e.g.
"woman" (isha) coming from "man" (ish) -- which works in English too! --
but at least not in most languages.  (on the other hand, the connection
between "woman" and "rib" is apparently a Sumerian pun.)

          zev bar-Lev (prof.)
          dept. of linguistics & oriental languages,
          san diego state university, san diego CA 92182
          e-mail ZBARLEV at mail.sdsu.edu
          tel. (619)-594-6389
          fax: (619)-594-4877