6.666, Varia: Possessives, Affricates, Greetings and Religion

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 11 17:35:15 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-666. Thu 11 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 141

Subject: 6.666, Varia: Possessives, Affricates, Greetings and Religion

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 12:09:35 -0400
From: Chris Barker (barker at ling.rochester.edu)
Subject: Possessives: corrections

2)
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 10:44:44 EDT
From: Szigetvari Peter (szigetva at osiris.elte.hu)
Subject: affricates

3)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 95 14:30:33 EDT
From: GUERSSEL MOHAMED (guerssel.mohamed at uqam.ca)
Subject: Greetings and religion (fwd)

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 12:09:35 -0400
From: Chris Barker (barker at ling.rochester.edu)

In Jack Wiedrick's recent summary posting [6.596, Sum: Possessives],
his kind citing of my work contains a couple of inaccuracies which I
would like to correct: my PhD is not from UC San Diego, but rather
from UC Santa Cruz; my dissertation was not distrubted by the Ohio
State University (though OSU did generously provide funds for
distribution of copies), but it is under contract for publication by
CSLI in their dissertation series (and will appear fairly soon, I
hope); and my current affliliation is not with the psychology
department at the University of Rochester, but with Center for the
Sciences of Language (at UR).

I am sorry I missed the original post.  I do have a recent manuscript
on exactly this topic, and in fact I was led onto the topic by John
Goldsmith's earlier posting to the linguist list.  I agree with most
of Jack's insightful summary, and I believe that most or all of the
special properties of the so-called double genitive ("a friend of
Tom's") that he notes are nicely accounted for by Jackendoff's (1968)
hypothesis that this is a partitive construction.  This position is
defended in detail in my draft, which is availble in a variety of
formats by anonymous ftp at the following location:

ftp://ling.rochester.edu/pub/barker/Papers/Partitives/barker.double.genitives*

A couple of the more notable additional references (extracted from the
bibliography in my draft) are:

Altenberg, Bengt (1982) {\it The Genitive v.~the \r{of}-Construction:
a Study of Syntactic Variation in 17th Century English},
Lund Studies in English 62, CWK Gleerup [LiberF\"orlag Lund], Malm\"o.

Dean, Janet (1966) `Determiners and Relative Clauses', unpublished
manuscript, MIT.

Jackendoff, Ray (1968b), `Possessives in English', in Anderson,
Jackendoff, and Keyser, {\it Studies in Transformational Grammar and
Related Topics}, AFCRL-68-0032, 25--51.  A substantially revised
version has been translated into French by Edmond Grimberg (1969) `Les
constructions possessives en anglais', {\it Langages\/} {\bf
14.1}:7--27.

Narita, Hajime (1986) `The nature of the double genitive',
{\it Descriptive and Applied Linguistics\/} {\bf 19}: 193--206.
Published by the Summer Institute of Linguistics, International
Christian University, Tokyo.

Stockwell, Schachter and Partee (1973),
{\it The Major Syntactic Structures of English},
Holt, Rinehart, Winston, New York. (See pages 122ff, 708)

Sweet, Henry (1898) {\it A New English Grammar, Logical and Historical},
Clarendon, Oxford.  (See page 54)

  -- Chris Barker (barker at ling.rochester.edu)