6.678, Qs: Borrowing, Stanford workshop, Involvement, CA Instruction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun May 14 03:28:01 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-678. Sat 13 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 153

Subject: 6.678, Qs: Borrowing, Stanford workshop, Involvement, CA Instruction

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 08:54:00 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Q: Borrowing of Body Part Terms and Numerals

2)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 10:01:22 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Q: 1987 Stanford Reconstruction Workshop

3)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:20:19 -0100
From: watson at joyl.joensuu.fi (Gregory Watson)
Subject: Involvement

4)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 16:34:34 +0100 (BST)
From: "D.L.EBBRELL" (D.L.Ebbrell at langc.hull.ac.uk)
Subject: Computer Assisted Vocabulary Acquisition/ Software ????

Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 08:54:00 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)

I am again looking for clear examples of borrowing of the term
for 'ear' and also of lower numerals (i.e., lower than 11).
I have not been able to find any clear instances of the former
(some claim that Tsakhur borrowed 'ear' from Georgian but this
is not so clear), and only a handful of the latter all involving
reconstructed languages (e.g. Semitic 7 and probably 6 -) Indo-
European, a whole bunch of Semitic and IE numerals -) Kartvelian,
and such).  It would be nice to have clear cases in attested
languages.

Also, any examples other than Uralic or Afro-Asiatic for
a wel-established language family whose lower numerals are not
all cognate?

I will post a summary.