6.682, Sum: Relevance and discourse

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun May 14 04:14:57 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-682. Sat 13 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 183

Subject: 6.682, Sum: Relevance and discourse

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:          Fri, 12 May 1995 13:30:30 GMT+1
From: GAGLIARD at chiostro.univr.it
Subject:       Summary of relevance and discourse

2)
Date:          Fri, 12 May 1995 13:42:56 GMT+1
From: GAGLIARD at chiostro.univr.it
Subject:       Summary on Relevance and discourse

3)
Date:          Fri, 12 May 1995 13:41:16 GMT+1
From: GAGLIARD at chiostro.univr.it
Subject:       Summary on Relevance theory

Date:          Fri, 12 May 1995 13:30:30 GMT+1
From: GAGLIARD at chiostro.univr.it

Summary of responses on relevance and discourse:

Date sent      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 10:05:11 +0200
>From           moeschlj at uni2a.unige.ch (Jacques Moeschler)
Subject        relevance and discourse
To             GAGLIARD at chiostro.univr.it

)Date Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:59:35 +0200
)To: GAGLIARD at CHIOSTO@UNIVR.IT
)From moeschlj at uni2a.unige.ch (Jacques Moeschler)
)Subject relevance and discourse
)
)Hello,
)I received  a forward mail from Dan Sperber about your query about
)references on relevance and discourse. I have been workind on discourse
)analysis for a couple of years, and tried to have a new look at discourse
)from relevance theory. Here are a couple of reference in English (I hope
)accessible):
)Moeschler, J. (1989), (<Pragmatic connectives, argumentative coherence, and
)relevance>>, Argumentation 3/3, 321-339.
)Moeschler, J. (1992), (<Foundations of dialogue analysis>>, in Stati, S. &
)Weigand, E. (eds.), Methodologie der Dialoganalyse, Tuebingen, Niemeyer,
)66-74.
)Moeschler, J. (1993), (<Relevance and conversation>>, Lingua 90, 149-171.
)Moeschler, J. (1994), (<How do we know that what we mean is understood ?
)Hypothesis and warranty of uptake in conversation>>, in  Parret, H. (ed.),
)Pretending to communicate, Berlin, de Gruyter, 33-47.
)
)In French:
)Moeschler, J. (1990), (<Conversation, coherence et pertinence>>, dans B.
)Conein, M. de Fornel et L. Quere (eds.), Les formes de la conversation,
)vol. 1, Paris, CNET (Reseaux), 79-104..
)Moeschler, J. (1991), (<Conversation et inference pragmatique>>, in Stati
)S., Weigand, E. & Hundsnurscher F. (eds.), Dialoganalyse III. Referate der
)3. Arbeitstagung, Bologna 1990, Tuebingen, Niemeyer, 185-196.
)See also lots of workin papers in the Cahiers de Lingusitique francaise,
)University of geneva, Department of Linguistics:
)
)For a general view on pragmatics and relevance:
)
)Moeschler, J. & Reboul, A. (1994), Dictionnaire encyclopedique de
)pragmatique, Paris, Seuil, avril 1994.
)Moeschler J., Reboul A., Luscher J.M., Jayez J. (1994), Langage et
)pertinence. Reference temporelle, anaphore, connecteurs et metaphore,
)Nancy, PUN, 1994.
)
)I have been also writing on tenses and narratives, specially in the
)chapter 1 of Moeschler et al. (1994), Langage et pertinence. A student of
)mine has written a small monography on the imparfait tense, with special
)regard on narratives and relevance theory (tenses as devices for
)descriptive and/or interpretive use of langage). You can also look at
)Langages 112, december 1993 (Temps, reference et inference), and specially
)papers by Wilson & Sperber, Neil Smith and Moeschler. I have also a paper
)in preparation on evolving reference within narrative configurations.
)
)For any questions about relevance and fiction, ask Anne Reboul
)(reboul at loria.fr).
)Best wishes
)Jacques Moeschler
)