6.698, Calls: Phonology meeting, Language and law newsletter

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat May 20 06:35:49 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-698. Sat 20 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 166

Subject: 6.698, Calls: Phonology meeting, Language and law newsletter

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:15:46 -0500
From: Jecev at SABSNS.sns.it (georgi jetchev)
Subject: CORTONA PHONOLOGY MEETING III

2)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:34:59 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bethany Dumas, UTK" (DUMASB at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU)
Subject: Electronic Newsletter: Language and Law (Second Call)

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:15:46 -0500
From: Jecev at SABSNS.sns.it (georgi jetchev)

                CORTONA PHONOLOGY MEETING III

Dear Colleague:

This is the announcement of a Phonology Meeting that the Scuola Normale
Superiore inteds to organize on
                                   11-14 April 1996.
We encourage the submission of any contribution in theoretical and
descriptive phonology, with special emphasis on Italian and its dialects.
In 1987 and 1990, we held the first Cortona Phonology Meetings, which were
judged both successful and enjoyable by those who intervened. The two
volumes of proceedings were published by Rosenberg & Sellier in Torino
under the titles: Certamen Phonologicum  (edited by P.M. Bertinetto and M.
Loporcaro) and Certamen Phonologicum II  (edited by P.M. Bertinetto, M.
Kenstowicz and M. Loporcaro).
Those who came to the previous meetings surely liked Cortona, a beautiful
medioeval town on the top of a hill in the middle of the Etruscan area
(half-way between Firenze and Roma, less than two hours by train from both
sites).
Unfortunately, due to the less than satisfactory financial situation, we
cannot offer this time the same treatment that we provided before. All we
can venture to offer (but even this depends on the amount of subsidy that
we are going to obtain) is the lunch at the conference building for all
speakers. We hope nevertheless that many of you will be interested in the
event, and take part in the meeting. After all, we are certain that what
attracted the previous participants was the intellectual excitement, rather
than trivial economic details.
In any case, we can assure that Cortona offers fairly cheap (although not
luxurious) lodging possibilities. Thus, you should not think that the
participation in this conference is going to be expensive, unless of course
you want to be hosted in a real hotel. As to meals, we can obtain
favourable prices by a local restaurant (a fairly good one, by the way).
The DEADLINE for submission of an abstract is:
                                 end of September 1995.
We encourage you to use email to this purpose. However, since there may be
wrong characters (especially in phonetic transcriptions), we ask you to
send also a fax, or a normal letter. Do not forget to indicate also your
full address, email, phone and fax number.
The second circular will be distributed before the end of this year, and
will contain a preliminary list of participants and titles, plus price
indications for the different types of lodging.
We do hope that you shall consider this opportunity.
Best regards from

         Pier Marco Bertinetto, Livio Gaeta, Georgi Jetchev

bertinet at sns.it         gaeta at sab.sns.it        jecev at sab.sns.it

Scuola Normale Superiore, p. dei Cavalieri 7, I-56126 PISA
tel. ++39/50/509111;  fax  ++39/50/563513