6.703, Sum: References on "Pragmatics of Cohesion"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat May 20 14:42:46 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-703. Sat 20 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 83

Subject: 6.703, Sum: References on "Pragmatics of Cohesion"

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:          Mon, 15 May 1995 12:16:04 +0100
From: "B.Behnam" (B.Behnam at sheffield.ac.uk)
Subject:       References on "Pragmatics of Cohesion"

Date:          Mon, 15 May 1995 12:16:04 +0100
From: "B.Behnam" (B.Behnam at sheffield.ac.uk)

 Dear fellow Linguists

Some time ago, I posted a query about "References on the Pragmatics
of Cohesion".  I have recieved two responses so far: Bert Peeters
(Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au) and Lynne Hewit (leh5 at psu.edu).
I would like to thank them both here for their information and time.
I have also done so individually before.  My special thanks once
again goes to Dr. Peeters, who has been so kind to send me an offprint of his
valuable recent review article, "The things we do to make things make
sense".  I am posting a general bibliography, which is based on the
references given by the above mentioned linguists as well as on my own
bibliographic information.  I hope it will be helpful for those linguists who
 are
interested in this area.
1. Peeters, Bert (1994), "The things we do to make things make sense",
    PRAGMATICS AND COGNITION,  2(2), 357-380.
2. Campbell, K.S. (1994),  COHERENCE, CONTINUITY AND COHESION:
     THEORETICAL FOUNDATION FOR DOCUMENT DESIGN. Hillsdale, NJ: Laurence
     Erlbaum.
3. Morris, J. and Hirst, J. (1991), "Lexical cohesion computed by
    thesaural relations as an indicator of the structure of text",
    COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS, 17:21-48.

4. Duchan, J., Bruder, G., & Hewitt, L. (in press).  DEIXIS IN
   NARRATIVE: A COGNITIVE SCIENCE PERSPECTIVE.   Hillsdale, N.J.:
   Lawrence Erlbaum.

5. Hewitt, L. (in press).  "Reduced anaphor in subjective contexts".  (in
    above volume).

6. Zubin, D. & Hewitt, L. (in press).  "The Deictic Center: A theory of
    deixis in narrative". (in above volume).

7. Beene, L.D. (1981), THE PRAGMATICS OF COHESION. A PhD Thesis,
    UNiversity of Kansas.
8. Smith, May J. (1983), THE EFFECTS OF COHESION ON READING
    COMPREHENSION. A PhD Thesis, University of Georgia.
9. Hoey, M. (1983), ON THE SURFACE OF DISCOURSE.  London: George
    Allen & Unwin.
10. _______ (1991), PATTERNS OF LEXIS IN TEXT. OUP.
11. Leech and Short (1981), STYLE IN FICTION. Longman.
12. Blake, N.F. (1990), THE LANGUAGE OF LITERATURE. Macmillan.
13. Jakobson, R. (1967), "Linguistics and poetics" in Thomas A. Sebeok
      (ed.) STYLE IN  LANGUAGE. Cambrige, Mass: MIT Press.
14. Carter, R. (1982), "Style and interpretation in Heminway's `Cat
       in the Rain', in LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE: AN INTRODUCTORY READER IN
       STYLISTICS. London and New York: Routledge, 65-80.
15. Traugott and Pratt (1980), LINGUISTICS FOR STUDENTS OF
       LITERATURE.  New York:Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.

And last but not least:
16. Halliday and Hasan (1976), COHESION IN ENGLISH. Longman.

With Regards to ALL
Behnam
B.Behnam at sheffield.ac.uk