6.707, Indefinite/Interrogative Pronouns, Language and Religion

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat May 20 15:30:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-707. Sat 20 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 136

Subject: 6.707, Indefinite/Interrogative Pronouns, Language and Religion

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 22:19:32 +0000 (GMT)
From: martinha at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)
Subject: indefinite/interrogative pronoun

2)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 09:50:08 -0400
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: Re: 6.664, Language and Religion

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 22:19:32 +0000 (GMT)
From: martinha at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)

Benji Wald suggests that "the necessary condition for the development of
interrogative/relative formal identity is simply the existence of formal
identity between the interrogative and the corresponding indefinite
non-specific pronoun".

I don't think that's correct. Christian Lehmann has dealt with these
questions in his monumental "Der Relativsatz" (Tuebingen, Narr, 1984),
which was unfortunately written in German but is an absolute must for
anyone who is interested in relative clauses. He notes (p. 325) that
there is a closer relationhip between relative pronouns and interrogative
pronouns than between relatives and indefinites. Thus, it seems that
relative pronouns are based on interroagatives rather than on indefinites
where these differ.

It is true that in very many languages, indefinite pronouns are
based on interrogative pronouns (to be precise, in 55 of the 100
languages of a balanced world-wide sample, see my forthcoming book
"Indefinite pronouns", Oxford University Press). But it is only in a
minority of these that indefinites and interrogatives are *identical*.
The situation in English (some-where, some-how, etc.) is actually quite
typical: The base is an interrogative pronoun, the indefinite is formed
by adding something to it.

Relative pronouns are also sometimes formed by adding some element to the
interrogative pronoun (e.g. Latin qui-cumque, Bulgarian kakvo-to,
Georgian vin-c). Interestingly, when indefinites share the same root with
interrogatives and relatives, they also sometimes contain this element
(e.g. Bulgarian kakvo-to i da e 'anyone'), so indefinites may also be
derived from relatives.

Thus, in addition to Wald's path "interrog = indef) rel" (a possibility
that I do not deny), more commonly we find "interrog) indef, interrog >
rel" (independent developments) and "interrog) rel > indef". Again I
refer to my forthcoming book for detailed documentation.

Martin Haspelmath (Free University of Berlin)