6.718, Qs: J Thurber, Ss in Eng, Sign lg, Chinese, Polemics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 23 21:38:49 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-718. Tue 23 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 152

Subject: 6.718, Qs: J Thurber, Ss in Eng, Sign lg, Chinese, Polemics

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 16:32:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: sshelly at acs.wooster.edu (sharon shelly)
Subject: Thurber query

2)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 09:49:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Youngjun Jang (yjang at husc.harvard.edu)
Subject: Native judgment

3)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 14:30:42 UTC+2
From: chuquet at zeus.univ-poitiers.fr
Subject: Sign language

4)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 13:18:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: JIREEM at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Chinese

5)
Date:          Wed, 17 May 1995 20:20:09 +0100
From: "Joerge Koch" (Karpfen at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Subject:       Query on Polemic

Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 16:32:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: sshelly at acs.wooster.edu (sharon shelly)

Dear LINGUISTS:

Forgive me for cluttering up the list with what is essentially a trivia
question, but this has been driving me crazy and I suspect that one or
more of you out there can clear it up quickly...

I was absolutely convinced that in James Thurber's essay entitled "My Own
Ten Rules for a Happy Marriage" there was a passage about the dangers of
slipping into the subjunctive with your spouse.  As well as I can remember
this passage, expressions like "Far be it from me"  or "Never let it be said"
were judged as inflammatory and likely to escalate a minor argument into a
major conflagration.

Recently I reread the essay and found no trace of the subjunctive warning.
Nor can I find it in any other piece in "The Thurber Carnival" or "Thurber
Country".  Did I just imagine it??!!  Or is there something like this in
another work, or by another author?

If anyone can provide the source, I'll be eternally grateful.  You may
respond directly to me:

Sharon Shelly
SSHELLY at acs.wooster.edu

P.S.  No, I'm not filing for a divorce.  Just curious.