6.720, Sum: He saw the house red, Coordination without conjunction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed May 24 10:11:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-720. Wed 24 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 161

Subject: 6.720, Sum: He saw the house red, Coordination without conjunction

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:56:27 +0800 (MYT)
From: Linguistic Group (Linguistic-UTMK at cs.usm.my)
Subject: Sum: He saw the house red

2)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 12:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Culy (culy at Csli.Stanford.EDU)
Subject: Coordination without conjunction (summary)

Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:56:27 +0800 (MYT)
From: Linguistic Group (Linguistic-UTMK at cs.usm.my)

The following persons responded to my query on whether or not the
sentence 'He saw the house red' is grammatical/meaningful/acceptable.

1.      Deborah Yeager (kyeager at prism.nmt.edu)
2.      Frederick Parkinson (fparkins at ling.ohio-state.edu)
3.      Ivan Uemlianin (pss104 at bangor.ac.uk)
4.      James Kirchner (JPKIRCHNER at aol.com)
5.      Juan Antonio Pena (penaja at wkuvx1.wku.edu)
6.      Julie Vonwiller (julie at speech.su.oz.au)
7.      Karl Teeter (kvt at husc.harvard.edu)
8.      L Shockey (L.Shockey at reading.ac.uk)
9.      Leo A Connolly (CONNOLLY at msuvx2.memphis.edu)
10.     Margaret E Winters (mew1 at siu.edu)
11.     Marion Kee (Marion.Kee at A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU)
12.     Mark Mitton (mittonm at carleton.edu)
13.     Paul Wilt (WILPAUH at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu)
14.     Paul Woods (woodspr at osuunx.ucc.okstate.edu)
15.     Richard DeArmond (dearmond at sfu.ca)
16.     Richard Ingham (llsingam at reading.ac.uk)
17.     Russ Loski (Russ_Loski at sil.org)
18.     Sam Salt (D.W.Salt at derby.ac.uk)
19.     Stephen P Spackman (spackman at dfki.uni-sb.de)
20.     Ted Harding (Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk)

Many thanks to you, and especially to the List for providing the forum
for exchange. My apologies if there are mispelt names - a few were
deciphered from the e-mail address.

The response was most encouraging, and the feedback I have gathered,
valuable. I  had brief discussions with some of the respondents who came
back with more than one response, having reflected on it further and
deeper. Marion Kee provided a computational linguistUs view, including a
structural analysis which was particularly useful in connection with my
work in machine translation.

Opinions were, expectedly, diverse: ranging from an unequivocal No
(nope!), to Needing a very exceptional context to be acceptable, to
Marginally acceptable,  to a resolute Yes it makes perfect sense.
Generally it seems that most 'deviant' expressions can be acceptable
when  fitted into a particular context, and that acceptability depends
on  which point one is at, on the prescriptive-descriptive dichotomy
(i.e.learnt grammar rules, representing correctness vs.layman's usage/
intuition/poetic license).  In short, the entire argument base could be
hinged on the acceptability of John Hollander's poem title, "Colorless
green ideas sleep furiously" (quoted by Karl Teeter).

I think that one can steer a middle path: avoid the inclination to see
linguists as trying to systematically force a meaning to explain
something that makes sense, or that a judgement based on intuition is
unsupplemented by a learned syntatic performance skill and therefore less
valid. Adopting Thorne's solution (1965:51) to the dilemma that a grammar
(considered a representation of competence) cannot explain deviant
strings and their interpretation, we can look at the issue with a shift
in perspective: 'Given a text... containing sequences which resist
inclusion in a grammar of English it might prove more illuminating to
regard it as a sample of a different language, or a different dialect,
from Standard English...  Interpreting the sentences of the (text) is
like learning a language: one seeks to discover regularities which imply
rules which one has not yet internalized as part of one's linguistic
competence. [in Fowler: 71]

I've been told that this query came up a few months ago, so I am posting
the responses only to those who asked for it.  I would be happy to let
anyone else have it on request.

Lalita Sinha
Computer Assisted Translation Unit
Universiti Sains Malaysia