6.726, Possessives, Ling in Science Fiction, Official Lang of USA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 25 03:18:19 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-726. Wed 24 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 89

Subject: 6.726, Possessives, Ling in Science Fiction, Official Lang of USA

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 17:55:48 +0100
From: Osten.Dahl at tele.su.se (Oesten Dahl)
Subject: 6.701, Possessives

2)
Date:          Fri, 19 May 1995 12:47:35 MET-1
From: GYORIG at btk.jpte.hu
Subject:       Linguistics in Science Fiction / genderless languages

3)
Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 18:32:11 +0200 (MESZ)
From: Elsa Lattey (elsa.lattey at uni-tuebingen.de)
Subject: official language

Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 17:55:48 +0100
From: Osten.Dahl at tele.su.se (Oesten Dahl)

Benji Wald writes, in connection with constructions with 's in English:
) I mean what other language has things
)like "the girl I'm thinking of'S boyfriend"?
Swedish does. The genitive "s" ending behaves very similarly in Swedish and
English, and "flickan jag taenker paa's pojkvaen" is clearly possible in
spoken language. But we don't get the "a friend of John's" cases, though.
Oesten Dahl