6.730, Qs: Universals, Grammar, Phrase origin, Plural markers

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 25 04:59:12 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-730. Wed 24 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 143

Subject: 6.730, Qs: Universals, Grammar, Phrase origin, Plural markers

                           REMINDER

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 12:31:38 +0200
From: bergh at vinga.hum.gu.se (Gunnar Bergh)
Subject: Extractions and Universals

2)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 11:09:14 -0400
From: gb661 at csc.albany.edu (George Aaron Broadwell)
Subject: Fun: The worst passage in a grammar

3)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 22:53:25 -0500
From: cep387 at nwu.edu (Carrie Porter)
Subject: query re "katy bar the door"

4)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 10:42:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: Q foots or feets?

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 12:31:38 +0200
From: bergh at vinga.hum.gu.se (Gunnar Bergh)

Dear subscribers of Linguist,

This is a humble request for help. Looking into potential universal
tendencies within the field of unbounded dependencies, I'm currently trying
to collect authentic examples of extractions from as many languages as
possible. The structure at issue can be described as follows:

[extracted element] + [matrix clause] + [finite source clause with gap (=90)=
]

In English, this pattern can be realized in several different ways, primaril=
y:

This girl I think =90 will win (topicalization)
Which girl do you think =90 will win? (question formation)
This is the girl who I think =90 will win (relativization)

What I would like to find out is what languages (Indo-European as well as
others) tend to permit this construction (please provide authentic examples
plus indication of potential style values). If you happen to know anything
about the possibility of inserting resumptive pronouns in the subordinate
clause, deletion of the conjunction corresponding to English "that" (when
the subject, a complement or an adjunct has been extracted, respectively),
such information is more equally welcome.

At present, my data cover languages like English, Finnish, French, German,
Russian and Swedish, but there is room for much more. If possible, try to
e-mail your observations directly to me, and I will post the usual summary
to Linguist later on.

Thanks in advance,

Gunnar Bergh,
English Department, University of G=F6teborg
Renstr=F6msparken
412 98 G=F6teborg
Sweden
fax: (0)31-773 4726